Broken glovebox hinge support on 1991 Accord

Good morning.
My 1991 Accord glovebox is hanging down on the righthand side. I removed the glovebox, and discovered that the righthand bracket (the bracket that the hinge crossbar bolts onto) has broken off from
the dashboard support. This is a metal strip encapsulated in the foam core of the dashboard. Any ideas on how I might fix it?
Thanks -Mark

Get another glovebox from the wreckers. Really cheaply, too.
--
Tegger

The glovebox door itself is fine, it's the hinge
mounting on the dashboard assembly that has broken off.
Photos here:
http://www.canleyworks.com/honda/glovebox_hinge
The broken piece is in the two bottom photos. Note the
metal bracket encapsulated in foam, the metal bracket
has cracked and broken away from the dashboard frame.
I'm thinking that perhaps I could epoxy the broken
bit back in place, and then surround it with a
layup of fiberglass cloth and epoxy?
On 4/26/10 4:20 PM, in article kZudnTgIbqcZnkvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.palinacquisition, "Mark G."

Just get some JB Weld & reinforce it with a thin strip of metal, or dig into the dash of one at the wreckers & see if the part is actually removable.

Hmm. Maybe I can fabricate a metal dogleg and JB Weld the broken piece to it. Then reattach the dogleg to the dashboard with a fiberglass layup.
wrote>>

Wanna re-post that pic of the glovebox opening with either your finger or an arrow showing where that piece came from? Most of your pictures are taken from up too close, and with few recognizable reference points.
If the fractured piece is part of the padded dash cover, I've successfully repaired similar breaks with pieces sawed off of wrecks.
--
Tegger

Done.

And...how did you fix it?
--
Tegger

I haven't yet. I'm interested in any ideas that might work.
I'm thinking about getting some metal stock and making a dogleg to match the angle of the righthand edge of the glovebox opening. Rivet or JB Weld the broken piece to the end, fit it in place, and plaster it down with some epoxy and fiberglass cloth.
On 04/27/2010 08:43 PM, Mark G. wrote:

just use aluminum sheet snipped to size and epoxy. works great in my crx.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

some plastics are next to impossible to glue. I have found some success with construction adhesive,like Liquid Nails.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik