Brushes of starter motor

84 Accord. I had the starter motor out and noticed that two of the four brushes are very short. What will be the symptoms when they start to
fail (will there be warnings to give me time to fix or to replace the starter), and can they be replaced? It appeared the brush wires are welded, not fastened with screws.
I don't think you will get a warning till its to late, the brushes will burn into the comutator end of the armature and damage it if they wear down to far, better to replace the starter with a quality rebuilt, than to be stranded somewhere.Replaced the starter on my son's civic easy.
Tom