Burning Oil

Page 3 of 3

Air jetting from the oil filler cap tells you nothing, I'm afraid. Even a brand-new engine, freshly broken in and at max oil life will exhibit /considerable/ jetting from the oil filler cap. From oil filler neck emissions alone, it's hard to tell the difference between the blowby of a worn engine and a new one.
You need to have a garage perform wet and dry compression tests. Keep in mind even these are only analogs for oil ring condition. It is possible to have good oil rings and poor compression rings, and vice versa.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 09/13/2009 04:18 PM, Tegger wrote:

sorry dude, if you have two same-model engines side by side, the difference between worn and not worn is very much apparent from that test.

only tests compression, not oil control.

indeed. see above.

That's a quart every 1,200 miles. Not good at all for less than 200K miles.

The idea that a plugged PCV valve by itself will increase oil consumption is common but erroneous.

A good sign.

I suppose it's possible. The oxygen sensor would detect the excess hydrocarbons from the oil and compensate by reducing injector pulse width.
Modern motor oil is a readily and cleanly combustible hydrocarbon mix.

Can you supply a clear photo of the plugs?

Smoke on overrun indicates worn rings, not valve guide oil seals.
I think you need to have a compression test done. If the readings go up for the wet test, the rings are very worn.

They won't necessarily fail all at once, but it only takes one cylinder to fail for smoke to show out the tailpipe. Two things you can have in that case: A slightly lumpy idle, and an odd-man-out compression test reading on one cylinder.

I have a feeling you'll find that one cylinder has much lower compression than the others.
If one cylinder is much lower than the others, there's a tiny possibility that the rings are simply carboned up and not sealing as they should. In that case, long-term use of Mobil 1 and some occasional spirited driving may free it up.
By the way, when was the last time you checked the valve clearances?