Burning Oil

I agree. Just use the highest viscosity the manual recommends for your temp range and keep a few bottles in the trunk. Just keep checking it once a week and add as needed. I actually think 1200 miles per qt is fine for a car with 190,000 miles. If it doesn't make it to a quarter million, it won't be because of this oil burning problem (unless you run it dry).

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

mine was burning at that rate, but has since dropped to one quart per 4 or 5k.

Reply to
jim beam

it does matter - submerged guides can leak literally pints.

right, but that's a whole different issue.

but they are literally weeks old - no "lasting" problem.

untrue - the stems and guides run dry. the seal is there to do just that - seal.

a honda should be up there at at least 300k.

Reply to
jim beam