Bye Bye Honda Fit! Helllllllllooooooooooo Mazdaspeed3!!!!!

Page 1 of 2
And here it is!!!!
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingMS3
BYE BYE, HONDA FIT!!!!

Spaz wrote:

That car in the different category (and price range). Before you salivate check the prices for 18" max performance summer rubber. And beware of the torque steer :)

I already have. From what I've been told from current Honda Fit owners, the dealers have been charging $2,000 OVER MSRP, plus there's other things they had to buy that are normally included with most cars, so YOU'RE the one who should check the prices. The dealers are ripping off the Fit customers bigtime.
Spaz wrote:

I'm sure they do. But even if prices would not go down in a few month they would in a year or two. Mini was selling like hot cakes when it just came out now it can be had for 18k (standard transmission) and they might finally sell for 17.5k they were originally suggested to be sold for while having none of the problems of the first model year. Mazdaspeed 3 would most likely cost waaaay more than fit cost these days. It;s compete with WRX and SRT-4 and would therefore be around $22-23k. And it's every bit as heavy as the two cars it;s competing with. The prices for Civic Si would go down by then and I hope I could get one for under $21k. Too bad the wife says the sedan is ass-ugly. I love it from evey angle!!! Taillights, schmaillights.
We are all so happy for you! Now head on over to the MAZDA group Skippy!
Bye Bye!
G-Man

Let's see, they have exactly zero in common except the idea that they're both front wheel drive, 5 door Japanese cars.
Why Mazdaspeed3 instead of WRX?
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I love my Accord, but I'd take a WRX any day :)
Matt Ion wrote:

i tested one of the early wrx's, and it didn't impress me. it's quick enough, but doesn't corner like a honda. on balance, i think that matters more.

They've come on a lot in 20+ years. Of course, i've neve seen a regular saloon described as better handling than a race-oriented car.
flobert wrote:

well here's the thing - the dealer let my buddy and i take the the car out on our own [as in, unsupervised!!!] so you can guess what happened. basically, we took it out on a canyon trail and redlined it for about 30 minutes. power, yep. brakes, ok. handling, blah. better than a stock legacy, but still blah. hondas understeer at 9/10ths, but they still handle better if you know what you're doing because you can use it to gauge the degree of available traction.
i wonder how many people get to do /real/ test drives like that? [tip: show up at about 5:30 on a sunday night when there's 5 other people in the showroom looking at minivans and the sales dude wants to go home.]

I did back in Jan, with a volvo v70r. turned up with a buddy 9a local state patrol cop) and he got it on an unsupervised test. They're actually looking into buying one or two for pursuit vehicles, so we get on the interstate, with a pair of friends in marked cars, and floor it - 135mph and the crown vics were tapped out - volvo was a dream, and is limited to 155...(so if you saw 2 state trooppers, with a black V70 between them flashing past you in Jan, here's a belated wave :-)
jim beam wrote:

Perhaps. Depends on where and how you're driving. The thing I miss most about my old GLC is the RWD for cornering on the dirt roads 'back home' - you just can't power-slide in a FWD :)
Matt Ion wrote:

Forgot to add, 4 wheel drifts in Impreza are controllable due to 50/50 torque split between the axles. I guess I'll miss that if I get a Civic Si. You just can't have it all... Unless you get an Evo!!!
Controllable drifts? Check. Razorblade steering precision? Check! Decent shifter? Check. Gobs of power? Check. Affordability? Can't have it all after all.

reliability... build quality... maintaince
the evo's are terrible for road use, especially the higher h ones (anything over about 280) Major service on them is something like 15-20k miles
flobert wrote:

Hmm, the warranty is 5 years/60k miles. Unless they prove that you raced it I don't see how you can get into much trouble. Except with LEO :-)

<snip>
As the british Motoring Journalist Jeremy Clarckson has found out, Warentees have their down sides too.
His ford GT has been in quite a few times now, and whilst its been in, whats he got to replce it from the dealer... a ford focus estate diesel (station wagon)
imagine you take your FQ400 in, because its broken again, and whilst its being worked on, you get some boring small bottom of the rage loaner. Still happy about your buy? Still happy when it seems you drive the laoners more than the car you bought?

I recall an article (WSJ?) on how some car companies (and I think Mitsubishi was specifically mentioned) would take note of participants in all racing events down to the autocross level and deny any warranty claims based on participation.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

that's fine. I have no money to blow on the track/autocross anyway. and i haven't heard many horror stories about evo reliability. do you have links?

Well, this is what I found with a Google search:
This is from a defunct web page:
http://64.233.187.104/search?q che:lIxAsPWlx3sJ:team3s.com/digests/v02n263.htm+mitsubishi+warranty+racing+denied+OR+deny+OR+void*&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3
WARNING WILL ROBINSON!! BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!! Just got an official reply to my nice little letter to the president of Mitsubishi, asking him to honor my warranty claim. Here's part of the letter from the customer connections manager: "It is our determination that the damage done to your vehicle was directly related to the use of your vehicle for racing. Your website posts times, location, and duration of contests."* I never told them I had a website, so this confirms all the rumors we've been hearing that Mitsubishi monitors our activities, at tracks and on the Web. My advice to all of you is: 1. Do not ever buy a new car with a Mitsubishi warranty. If you want an Evo or a Lancer or whatever, buy it used from a General Motors dealer, and then purchase the GM aftermarket warranty. GM's warranty is the best in the business. 2. If you road race, drag race, autocross, or indulge in any other motorsport, be aware that Mitsubishi observes some of these events in person, and notes what Mitsu vehicles are competing. 3. If you communicate on our discussion groups, better get an alias. Big Brother is watching this forum and all other lists. They identify us by name, car, etc., and use the information to deny warranty claims. Rumors have been flying that they deny ALL claims, not just on equipment that could possibly be damaged by racing.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

> posts times, location, and duration of contests."*

> and on the Web.
I think my next reply to Mitsubishi would be to request their proof that the car in question was actually involved in racing itself, including identifiable video or photos showing the VIN plate...