Cabin Air Filter

Have a 2000 Accord V6. Has anyone change the cabin air filter? I know it can get involved and am not too sure if it is a doable DIY job. Comments.
MLD

least the first time. It's kind of annoying to pay the labor charge for a shop to do it, but what's an hour of your time worth?
Paul

box and cutting of a brace. You will need to look at a service manual to do it to be safe.

No brace cutting, as I recall, but you do have to remove the glove box and it's a pain. That's assuming the procedure for your V6 is the same as for my SE.
I used Purolator filters (you'll need two). Either they came with instruction sheets or I downloaded the instructions from Purolator, I don't remember which. I have a copy of the instructions I can send you if you want it (it's a PDF file, 423 KB).

For the first time, yes, you must cut a brace. It's that way on all 98-02 Accords.
tww1491 wrote:

-----------------------------------
The second generation Odyssey has a plastic brace that has to be CUT the first time you change the cabin filter(s). Its part of the assembly process, but not needed once the dash is together. I wouldn't be surprised if its true of the '00 Accord.
Google is sometimes the fastest way to find out such answers . .
'Curly'

much easier to change that filter. I do recall it being a pain because you have to pull the plastic panel off that is under the glove box. there maybe a couple of screws too remove also. Don't forget to save the filter holders because they don't come with the new ones. there is two filters.

I have done it last week on a 01. Used Micronair filters (you need 2 filters). Took about an hour. It is a hassle, especially the first time, you have to take out trim panels and the glove box. This was the 3rd change (one was done by dealer, other 2 by me). The filters were pretty black and filthy, so I would say change it at least every 30000 miles or 2 years if not sooner.

compartment, pulled the plastic tab(s) on the side(s) of the glove box towards the center so the glove box can hinge all the way out and down, then reached in and slide out the little tray, removed the old filter, put in the new filter, slis the tray back in, pulled up the glove box lid so it would return to the normal open position, reinserted all of the junk, closed the lid.............done. Took about 5-10 minutes.

The 2000 Accord is different from the 2003 Accord.
I have a 98 Accord. I have changed the a/c filters 3-4 times so far. Honestly I don't recall ever CUTTING a brace. I do remember taking out several screws to remove a cross brace below the glove box. First time, it took me about an hour. Subsequent times about 30 minutes. Strongly recommend to do it in a garage or warm weather to increase the flex of the plastic panels. They WILL discolor or break if flexed too far especially in colder weather.

That brace is there solely to assist during assembly of the car at the factory.
The factory instructions for replacing the cabin air filter involve cutting that brace if it's there.
I believe it even has relief marks stamped into it to assist said cutting.
On Sun, 06 May 2007 10:25:06 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Thats funny! I've changed litterly hundreds of these and never had to cut any thing. The Odesey and the Pilot both have a plastic brace that needs removed. The 98 - 2002 Accords just have screws, some well hidden behind plastic covers (center console, and knee bolster). I recomend reading a service manual before attempting this.
Here is a link to a great set of instructions on changing them, and they use a 1998 accord as an example. 98-02 Accords should be the same.
http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/cabinair.shtml
RoundRockMike

That is a pain in the ass to fix.