Caliper sliding pin boots

Page 1 of 2
Howdy.
Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord 4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can
purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul kit?
Thanks.
Dan.
On Tue, 08 May 2007 08:04:20 -0700, highkm wrote:

Wow. I thought Toyotas were 'expensive'!
Try AutoZone or another good AP store in your area. And, look in the "HELP!" section of the store. HELP! parts are marketed by Dorman IIRC, and they may have a Dorman catalogue with more parts available than are on the rack.
And get this: In order to replace the rubber suspension bushings on the lower cotrol arms for my Supra, I have to replace the WHOLE CONTROL ARM!!! $210 in order to get parts that should total $75!!
Check at http://www.slhonda.com/ They show a caliper pack which has the boots and other seals for $17.43. Part no 01463-SDA-A00. Check with your dealer for the service pack or order on line at the site. SL Honda is a dealer that sells on line at discounted prices. You may need to run through the selections as I just dummied up trim levels, etc.

If you hadn't used the wrong grease in the first place, you wouldn't be in this pickle. Those boots last the life of the car, treated right.
Use "Sil-Glyde" only. Available at your local auto parts store.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

be much better.

Been using Sil-Glyde for twenty years. Never a problem. I still have all eitght original pin boots on my brakes and they do not even show signs of cracking, much less splitting.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

experience. i don't think sil-glyde is a pure silicone. and of course, they don't say on the label.
in addition to permatex which is a good over-the-counter assembly lube, there's some stuff by bendix that's supposed to be good and dow corning's molykote m77 is i understand oem lube for the sliders.

Sil-Glyde does NOT "gum up" ANY rubber boots on ANY Honda EVER. I don't know what you were using, but it sure wasn't Sil-Glyde.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Do they even make Sil-Glyde anymore? I used to use it regularly and then I noticed that I could no longer find it in the stores anymore. I looked around online and I'm prettty sure I read that it had been taken of the market. Am I mistaken? I haven't seen it in the stores in my area for at least five years.

It's still made and sold. Readily available at NAPA and other places.
<http://www.agscompany.com/products/index.php?catIdS&viewProducts=true
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

To jim beam: If you decide to check out that link, you'll see a link to the MSDS at the bottom. Do you see any silicone in the MSDS? The chemical names mean nothing to me.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

toothpaste among other things. the methylated silica is a bulking agent the p.g. can bind to. not much room for dimethylpolysiloxane [the silicone] after that!

So then "Sil-Glyde" is more "Glyde" than "Sil". Interesting to know, but not ultimately of effect on my purchase and use decisions. The stuff is still excellent. But there was once better....
In my neck of the woods twenty-five years ago there used to be a substance called "Impac 1000". It was an extremely effective potion. Unfortunately, efficacy does not automatically conflate with business success, and Impac 1000 went out of business. I was therefore forced to fall back on Sil-Glyde.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
highkm wrote:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
A Caliper seal kit is $15.23+shipping per side.
I would avoid using non OE parts, the rubber tends not to last as long. As Tegger noted, use Sil-Glyde silicone grease. AGS, http://www.agscompany.com , makes two different types. One is "Brake Lubricant" and the other is regular Sil-Glyde. I'm not sure what the differences are between the two. If you read the MSDS sheets for the two, then you'll note that they're very similar. I use regular Sil-Glyde and have not had a problem with it.
Eric
Eric wrote:

i've used sil-glyde - it's abysmal stuff. it gets absorbed by the rubber and turns into an adhesive goo in no time.
"permatex ultra disk brake caliper lube" is the way to go.

This is strange Jim. I have used Sil-Glyde for years and years with no problems whatsoever...I have never used the Permatex but with your recommendation I give it a try next time.
DaveD

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but it most certainly does not get absorbed by the rubber to the point the rubber degrades. That is a characteristic of petroleum-based anti-seizes.
If Sil-Glyde caused rubber degradation, I think I would have seen that in 20 years of (twice-yearly) use.

I'm sure that's fine too, but there's not a thing wrong with Sil-Glyde.
Sil-Glyde is especially good for wet, salty environments like mine. Since the stuff is so thick, it is less prone to washing away.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

had occasion to strip my stuff down again a few months later, and all was gummed to blazes. never had that with a true silicone before. i'd used it on brake rubber and suspension sway bar bushings. the bushings were completely stuck solid - the bushings had to be cut off and renewed.

Whatever that tube had in it, it certainly wasn't the stuff that's been sold to me as "Sil-Glyde" for two decades.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

There is a black market for almost everything - maybe it was bogus and got into the store's supply stream.
Mike