Caliper sliding pin boots

Howdy.

Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord

4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul kit?

Thanks.

Dan.

Reply to
highkm

Wow. I thought Toyotas were 'expensive'!

Try AutoZone or another good AP store in your area. And, look in the "HELP!" section of the store. HELP! parts are marketed by Dorman IIRC, and they may have a Dorman catalogue with more parts available than are on the rack.

And get this: In order to replace the rubber suspension bushings on the lower cotrol arms for my Supra, I have to replace the WHOLE CONTROL ARM!!! $210 in order to get parts that should total $75!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Check at

They show a caliper pack which has the boots and other seals for $17.43. Part no 01463-SDA-A00.Check with your dealer for the service pack or order on line at the site. SL Honda is a dealer that sells on line at discounted prices. You may need to run through the selections as I just dummied up trim levels, etc.

Reply to
Woody

highkm wrote in news:1178636660.824881.184980 @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

If you hadn't used the wrong grease in the first place, you wouldn't be in this pickle. Those boots last the life of the car, treated right.

Use "Sil-Glyde" only. Available at your local auto parts store.

Reply to
Tegger

A Caliper seal kit is $15.23+shipping per side.

I would avoid using non OE parts, the rubber tends not to last as long. As Tegger noted, use Sil-Glyde silicone grease. AGS,

makes two different types. One is "BrakeLubricant" and the other is regular Sil-Glyde. I'm not sure what thedifferences are between the two. If you read the MSDS sheets for the two,then you'll note that they're very similar. I use regular Sil-Glyde andhave not had a problem with it. Eric

Reply to
Eric

i've used sil-glyde - it's abysmal stuff. it gets absorbed by the rubber and turns into an adhesive goo in no time.

"permatex ultra disk brake caliper lube" is the way to go.

Reply to
jim beam

i've had really bad experience with that stuff. i've found permatex to be much better.

Reply to
jim beam

///snipped///

This is strange Jim. I have used Sil-Glyde for years and years with no problems whatsoever...I have never used the Permatex but with your recommendation I give it a try next time.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

jim beam wrote in news:dLOdnSmsHriKPd_bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Been using Sil-Glyde for twenty years. Never a problem. I still have all eitght original pin boots on my brakes and they do not even show signs of cracking, much less splitting.

Reply to
Tegger

jim beam wrote in news:g6udnRlh6II_AN_bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but it most certainly does not get absorbed by the rubber to the point the rubber degrades. That is a characteristic of petroleum-based anti-seizes.

If Sil-Glyde caused rubber degradation, I think I would have seen that in

20 years of (twice-yearly) use.

I'm sure that's fine too, but there's not a thing wrong with Sil-Glyde.

Sil-Glyde is especially good for wet, salty environments like mine. Since the stuff is so thick, it is less prone to washing away.

Reply to
Tegger

they don't crack or split, but they get badly gummed up in my experience. i don't think sil-glyde is a pure silicone. and of course, they don't say on the label.

in addition to permatex which is a good over-the-counter assembly lube, there's some stuff by bendix that's supposed to be good and dow corning's molykote m77 is i understand oem lube for the sliders.

Reply to
jim beam

it's possible i had a "dud" tube of the stuff, but the time i used it, i had occasion to strip my stuff down again a few months later, and all was gummed to blazes. never had that with a true silicone before. i'd used it on brake rubber and suspension sway bar bushings. the bushings were completely stuck solid - the bushings had to be cut off and renewed.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:qJCdnWQtmZuFit7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Sil-Glyde does NOT "gum up" ANY rubber boots on ANY Honda EVER. I don't know what you were using, but it sure wasn't Sil-Glyde.

Reply to
Tegger

jim beam wrote in news:VrWdnYLDht-Lhd7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Whatever that tube had in it, it certainly wasn't the stuff that's been sold to me as "Sil-Glyde" for two decades.

Reply to
Tegger

There is a black market for almost everything - maybe it was bogus and got into the store's supply stream.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:Po-dnQ3hru3c9t7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Maybe it had melamine in it.

Reply to
Tegger

maybe indeed. even the stuff in the tube turned into a brown sticky goo.

Reply to
jim beam

-------------------------

:-( MMMEEEEEEoooooooooooowwwwwwww :-(

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Do they even make Sil-Glyde anymore? I used to use it regularly and then I noticed that I could no longer find it in the stores anymore. I looked around online and I'm prettty sure I read that it had been taken of the market. Am I mistaken? I haven't seen it in the stores in my area for at least five years.

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com

"Headknocker via CarKB.com" wrote in news:72052be93b778@uwe:

It's still made and sold. Readily available at NAPA and other places.

Reply to
Tegger