Camry vs/ Accord?

My 13-year old Camry needs $1000+ of work on it. I have decided to get rid of it and get a new car. I am torn between the a 2005 Accord LX and 2006 Camry LE w/side airbags. I can get a slightly better deal on the Camry ~ 17288. My wife also drives a '97 Camry. We have not liked the experience w/that one as much as the 92 Camry. I had more problems occur earlier in the 97 Camry - struts, power steering leaking at 80K, etc. Maybe it was built on a Friday... The Accord has a solid reputation also. The Camry is a bit larger, and much larger trunk. So, is it worth paying a premium for the Accord?

Thanks Leor

Reply to
Leor Amikam

The two cars are VERY equivalent. I'm surprised you're getting a better deal on an 06 Camry vs. an 05 Accord.

Between the two, in any given deal, I'd take the one that (a) has the features I need, and (b) is cheaper than the other one that's similarly equipped.

Actually, I'd look for what $17K buys you in a Lexus ES300...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My '05 Accord LX comes with side airbags standard. They are both considered solid cars but drive a little differently. The Toyotas has a softer ride and the Hondas have a little more road feel. Drive them both and see which one puts a bigger smile on your face. I have driven Toyotas and Hondas and tend to favor the Hondas.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

My son has an '04 Camry SE 2.4 auto . I have a '04 Accord EXL 2.4 auto. The Camry has as more cushy ride. The Accord handles better. Power about the same. His camry has a 4 speed auto, but I think in '05 they went to 5 speed auto. Hiway mpg on my Accord is 35 with a/c on ( we live in Phoenix) the Camry gets 32 but that should be better with the 5 speed auto. Both cars are 2 years old and both have about 25000 miles and both have been entirely trouble free. You just have to drive them both and pick ypour preference. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I wouldn't say the Accord handles *better*; it just gives more road feel. At the end of the day, the Toyota product has nothing to be ashamed of with respect to its handling. It just feels different--cushier.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It used to be that the Camry was more heavily built than the Accord, and thus was a little higher on gas consumption. I don't know if this is still the case.

My next car, price aside, will likely be a Camry. I always buy new and drive the car for 8 - 10 years, so I'm at least 4 years away from my next new car and my choice will likely change. I may go Lexus, Accura or Volvo.

I've had 3 Accords with no major and very few minor problems. 2000 Civic (ex-wife) is still doing great (an accident aside).

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Browne

Alan, Great post. I subscribe to "Car and Driver" magazine. Over the past 10 or more years, they compare various cars (including the Accord and Cambry). I wish that I could say that the Accord came out as the number 1 car in EVERY comparison test. The fact is that the Accord came out as number 1 in some of those comparison tests amd the Cambry came out as number 1 in various other carparison tests. In other words, the Accord and Cambry are equal. Both are excellent cars. The Lexus and Accura cars are even better but cost so much that most middle class people can't afford them. Many of the people (not all) that buy Lexus cars and cars that even more expensive than the Lexus buy those types of cars to impress people. It works. I can't help but look at those types of cars when I see them in a parking lot. I hardly even notice Accords and Cambrys since there are so many of them. Jason

Reply to
Jason