Can I get my money back?

Yes indeed! I wish it were rare, though. In 1984 when we were looking for a car the salesweasel had the nerve to present us with a contract with everything filled in except the price. When I pointed that out he said we would negotiate that after I signed the contract! When I got out of there and into the sunlight I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

A sister in law bought a car a couple years ago from a dealership in Phoenix that has radio commercials featuring what Dave Barry calls "the Shouting Car Dealership Jerk." She needed to go home in her old car for some credit information, and they insisted she had to leave her driver's license as security! Sheesh....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Elle" wrote

Strike that. I missed the forest for the trees. Take the deposit out of the equation, replace it with a signed contract saying the buyer will do abc in exchange for her getting this car today, give her the car, and, short of a mistake in the actual, written contract, and based on what the OP said about the conditions under which she signed the contract, she's pretty much stuck with the contract as written.

Even if there were evidence that the salesperson said Y months of payments while the contract said Z months of payments, the onus is still on a buyer to read the contract. Contracts are generally put in writing for a reason; namely, with the expectation that people do read them and concur that their was a meeting of the minds per what is written.

The law's purpose is to thwart chaos. The law accomplishes this by setting standards which are, bottom line, common sense; based in reason; with an aim towards not assuming anything but going on as much of the facts as are available to all as possible.

Reply to
Elle

Legally the situation varies by location. Some places have a "cooling off period", some do not.

Always read any contract terms very carefully. Tired and late in the day generally doesn't cut it as a reason to back out of a contract.

John

Reply to
John Horner

BTW, if you really want out, by all means stop payment on the check.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Nope, not on auto loans. If the contract is transacted on the dealers property, it is binding. No Backsies!

Reply to
Carfan

"Carfan" wrote

Is that different from getting a loan at a bank -- on their property? When I applied, they wouldn't submit the paperwork for three days because of the law we're talking about.

Reply to
Howard Lester

The "statute of frauds" may also be applicable in this case.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire