Can I get my money back?

Page 4 of 4
"Carfan" wrote

Is that different from getting a loan at a bank -- on their property? When I applied, they wouldn't submit the paperwork for three days because of the law we're talking about.
Howard Lester wrote:

The "statute of frauds" may also be applicable in this case.
JT
Before you do anything. You could be opening yourself up for a world of trouble if you stop payment on the check. The lawyer making a phone call to the dealership manager for you could do a world of good.
First, send a certified letter stating you were misled and you want a full refund. Do this NOW before another day goes by. By dicking you around, your 72 hours will go by and you are screwed.
Then threaten a lawyer. Ask for whomever is in charge of their legal department so you can have the papers sent to the correct individual.
They won't let it go that far.
G-Man
PS, your dealer stinks!

Yes indeed! I wish it were rare, though. In 1984 when we were looking for a car the salesweasel had the nerve to present us with a contract with everything filled in except the price. When I pointed that out he said we would negotiate that after I signed the contract! When I got out of there and into the sunlight I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
A sister in law bought a car a couple years ago from a dealership in Phoenix that has radio commercials featuring what Dave Barry calls "the Shouting Car Dealership Jerk." She needed to go home in her old car for some credit information, and they insisted she had to leave her driver's license as security! Sheesh....
Mike
Legally the situation varies by location. Some places have a "cooling off period", some do not.
Always read any contract terms very carefully. Tired and late in the day generally doesn't cut it as a reason to back out of a contract.
John
BTW, if you really want out, by all means stop payment on the check.
John