Can my 2006 Honda Accord tow a 4x8 Uhaul trailer?

I am moving across the country and I have a 2006 4dr V6 Accord. Going from New York to Nevada.

Am I making a mistake putting on a hitch and towing a trailer across the country with my Accord?

Will an automatic transmission cooler make a difference?

The uhaul trailer I would rent is a 4x8 which has an empty weight of

780 pounds. I would likely have about 800 pounds of cargo.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for any advice.

David

Reply to
emailpetty

Check your manual. And maybe buy an extended warranty.

Reply to
Art

=================================

. . . And see if it tells you to leave your overdrive ON or OFF. The manual will say.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I used my 2002 Honda Civic to tow a fully loaded 4x8 Uhaul from near Toronto to Timmins Ontario (taking the 'kid to university)... a 12 hour road trip without problems. I turned off overdrive, since it seemed too hard on the vehicle..... as soon as you'd touch the accellerator (almost full time) overdrive would kick out anyway. Expect your gas mileage to plummet big time! Take your time, and don't go more than half throttle, especially on hills. Watch your revs.... the car will tend to over-rev because of the extra drag and pull it needs to haul the extra load.

Reply to
COH

Assuming the Fine Manual says you can, be sure to load the trailer so there is not too much weight forward or rear in the trailer - load heavy items over the trailer axle. The car should sit level when you are loaded. Too much weight on the tongue (the rear of the car squats) means too little weight on your front axle and reduced control. You may already know that, but better safe.... A couple weeks ago I saw a car towing a larger U-Haul and the rig started doing the Dance of Doom going down a slope.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
emailpetty

Reply to
emailpetty

..

I would change my transmission fluid at the beginning of the trip, and change it at the end of the trip, using Honda fluid. The hardest part of the trip is getting out of the Allegheny and Rocky Mountains!

I did the same trip in my Corvair monza back in 1966! It made it just fine!

Reply to
Andy & Carol