Can't get key out

I have a 1990 Honda Accord. Every time it gets cold out, I have to wait about 2 minutes, hear a click and than I can remove the key from the ignition. I also have to leave a key in the lockout or I can't shift from
drive to reverse and visa-versa. I've tried different keys, WD40 and shifting from park to drive and back again. Any suggestions? chas638
Charles Speidell wrote:

Not positive on your year, but most cars have a switch in the shifter that detects when it is in neutral. It controls a mechanism in your ignition lock, allowing the key to be removed in Park only. The shifter can only be moved when you press the brake. It could be that the brake pedal switch is not working right in that is isn't detected by the transmission lockout mechanism. Since you have to have a key in your lockout, I'd check the transmission lockout (take the hump off and see what's going on in there when you insert a key and press the brake pedal).
It might have some gunk in the mechanism that when mixed with cold grease is thick. It may just need cleaning. Worst case is that it could be your ignition switch.
Remco

This is the problem, guaranteed. It's called the console switch.

No

No
Gordon McGrew wrote:

The wire from the brake switch broken? No?

Pepsi syndrome? As in spilling soda in the mechanism? No?
Charles Speidell wrote:

--------------------------
The length of the shifter cable changes when it gets too cold, throwing out it's adjustment. Any mechanic who has worked on Hondas can do the adjustment for you. On a CR-V it's in the steering column, but yours is probably inside the console.
'Curly'
'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

    Time for a new shifter cable. bob
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:45:28 -0700, "'Curly Q. Links'"

Maybe, but the other poster had this one right. It is the console switch (which tells the car what gear position the shift lever is in.) I guarantee that this is the problem.
I'll give that a shot, Thank you all for your help chas638

Hello agian, Is there anyway to jump out the console switch?

Maybe, but it might be kind of complicated/inconvenient/unsafe. If you just jump it so that it thinks it is always in P, you might remove the key while it is in D and it could roll or start in D next time you drive it. Might be other effects too - not sure what all this controls.

I should mention that if money is tight you can always try cleaning it - not sure if this is at all possible but you can at least look at it. you really have to get this fixed and the part isn't too expensive (maybe $45 five years ago.) It is kind of unsafe as it is since you could become an obstruction to traffic if you accidentally put it in P for some reason.

I had this problem with my accura and fixed it with a zip tie. See, http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.acura/browse_thread/thread/c2de17447bec3314/71d1f2da3b185faa?lnk=st&q=author%3AXarthurruhtra%40netscape.netX&rnum=2&hl=en#71d1f2da3b185faa
or
http://tinyurl.com/dzuac
--Art