Can you "feel" a difference after a regular oil change?

Page 1 of 4
Is it possible to feel a difference (smoothness, better acceleration, etc.) after a normal-interlude oil change? Someone is claiming this and I think it's just their imagination, but I was wondering if there'd be
any technical reason. I can't think of one, unless the oil was quarts low or something drastic, which it wasn't.
Thanks-- Al

Strictly imagination. Of course, perhaps that would be the case if you never performed the required maintenance on time.

Just like after a thorough car wash.
Sharx35 wrote:

Or a new set of JDM "speed" decals... ;-)
Big Al wrote:

Not unless someone noticed a loose plug wire and stuck it back on or something like that .....
Big Al wrote:

of course you could, although it really depends on the state of the old oil.
usually, oil goes up in viscosity as particle load increases with age, so the engine will be having to work very slightly harder against that. you'd not expect a big difference on changing to fresh, but it can be there. i doubt that recreational oil changers that compulsively do it every 2k miles will notice anything.
jim beam wrote:

http://www.bishopsperformance.com/dynoinfo.htm
this is not a great link, but it's quick.
"Another little known fact is that the type and weight of oil can affect the power as well. Pure synthetic oil can easily show a 1% - 3% or greater increase in horsepower compared to conventional petroleum based oil."
the same applies for older more viscous oil.
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:26:15 -0700, jim beam

What a complete lot of nonsense. If the lubricity of the oil changes in any perceptable degree, the engine bearings will fail. Particle entrainment in the oil does not increase viscosity. Incidentally where are these particles coming from? Surely you are not suggesting these are metallic particles from engine wear. Where do you people get their technical education from?
Edward W. Thompson wrote:

you've worked with cars for /how/ long???

how odd - when you /measure/ viscosity over time, if the base doesn't degrade, viscosity goes up! strange how misleading measurements can be!

er, it's called "combustion product". ever heard of that in a "combustion engine"?

there's all kinds of crap in there. anything too small for the filter remains in the oil. duh.

clearly a much better place than you.
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 05:54:25 -0700, jim beam

So long as you have satisfied yourself you are correct that is the end of the matter no matter how wrong you happen to be.
As an aside, take a glass of water and add a teaspoon full of sand to it. Shaker it. Does viscosity change? No? I wonder why given you believe entrained matter changes viscosity. Incidentally viscosity and lubricity are two separate characteristics.
Combustion products in engine oil are entrained matter although some oxidation does occur which does not adversely affect lubricity or viscosity. What does get depleted in engine oil are additives which are the principal reason for oil change.
On the matter of combustion products, provided the diameter of the products do not exceed oil film thickness they will do no harm and will be removed by the filter. Combustion products in the oil of a well maintained gas engine are minimal as compared to a trunk piston diesel engine.
Edward W. Thompson wrote:

<snip bull>
wow, i love this guy! facts simply don't get in your way, do they! what's next, mud is the same viscosity as water? 'cos that's the way /your/ example works buddy.
you need to go back to your old high school and have a word with your old science teachers - they failed you big time.

What is a trunk piston diesel engine?
--
Clive

Is that a diesel engine in a rear-engine or mid-engine car?
Perhaps he meant "truck diesel engine."
In message

I've googled for it, it just means normal pistons as in any i.c. engine instead of a thin piston driving a piston rod to a crosshead as in steam engines.
--
Clive

No alterations will be felt simply by the fact of the oil change.
Psychologically though, some may feel as though the car is running better because they've done something "good" for the car.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Of course you can! Just like after a nice wash and wax. Everything is smooth and powerful. At least, that's the way it is with me. jor
Big Al wrote:

Hi, Yes for sure.
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:54:26 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

I notice the engine runs a little smoother with fresh oil.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Main thing I notice is the used oil kills the weeds along the fence. Here's some reading for ya, $10 Million, Just for Motor Oil The most advanced piece of technology in a Nascar vehicle these days isn't its engine, its suspension or anything made of carbon fiber. It's the motor oil. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123932274269507173.html
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:11:13 -0500, Fat Moe wrote:

I notice if you lived where I live, you'd have to pay a hefty fine and clean it up at enormous expense...