Can you "feel" a difference after a regular oil change?

Is it possible to feel a difference (smoothness, better acceleration, etc.) after a normal-interlude oil change? Someone is claiming this and I think it's just their imagination, but I was wondering if there'd be any technical reason. I can't think of one, unless the oil was quarts low or something drastic, which it wasn't.

Thanks-- Al

Reply to
Big Al

Strictly imagination. Of course, perhaps that would be the case if you never performed the required maintenance on time.

Reply to
tww1491

Not unless someone noticed a loose plug wire and stuck it back on or something like that .....

Reply to
Fat Moe

of course you could, although it really depends on the state of the old oil.

usually, oil goes up in viscosity as particle load increases with age, so the engine will be having to work very slightly harder against that. you'd not expect a big difference on changing to fresh, but it can be there. i doubt that recreational oil changers that compulsively do it every 2k miles will notice anything.

Reply to
jim beam

Big Al wrote in news:big-820E48.07530926042009 @freenews.netfront.net:

No alterations will be felt simply by the fact of the oil change.

Psychologically though, some may feel as though the car is running better because they've done something "good" for the car.

Reply to
Tegger

Of course you can! Just like after a nice wash and wax. Everything is smooth and powerful. At least, that's the way it is with me. jor

Reply to
jor

Hi, Yes for sure.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I notice the engine runs a little smoother with fresh oil.

Reply to
Hachiroku

this is not a great link, but it's quick.

"Another little known fact is that the type and weight of oil can affect the power as well. Pure synthetic oil can easily show a 1% - 3% or greater increase in horsepower compared to conventional petroleum based oil."

the same applies for older more viscous oil.

Reply to
jim beam

Main thing I notice is the used oil kills the weeds along the fence. Here's some reading for ya, $10 Million, Just for Motor Oil The most advanced piece of technology in a Nascar vehicle these days isn't its engine, its suspension or anything made of carbon fiber. It's the motor oil.

Fat Moe

I notice if you lived where I live, you'd have to pay a hefty fine and clean it up at enormous expense...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's OK here, and it works great as termite preventer. I "scientifically" applied a few gallons to a section of fence with a Wagner spray gun and no termites on that section after 15 years, they went through the rest like a buzz saw. Neighbor thought I was running a tattoo gun and came over to see what kind of rig I was running.

Reply to
Fat Moe

When I was a kid and we had to put in new fence posts, we routinely soaked the bottom foot or so in old drain oil. Did that now I'd be in jail. And no, I've never noticed anything after an oil change as far as performance. But I seldom go as far as 4000 miles as I prepayed for 3000/3month "free" lifetime oil/filter changes.

Ron in Idaho

Reply to
ron

I notice my wallet is lighter.

Reply to
News

No.

People claim a lot of things. I.e. they claim they can feel the difference between synthetic base stock oil and petroleum base stock oil, but of course they can't.

Reply to
SMS

except that you can measure the difference on a dyno. 1-3% in not trivial. that means you'll be a cars length ahead of the guy that started beside you by the end of the block.

Reply to
jim beam

That's for sure.

Reply to
Hachiroku

A car's length? It would be hard to feel the difference in acceleration. Plus, you would have to floor it to feel the difference.

No, it's one's imagination.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

not good at math - are you.

Reply to
jim beam

What's rather amusing is that even companies like Exxon-Mobile have never claimed, nor of course proven, an increase in MPG from synthetic base stock oil. Of course you see claims all over the map from Amsoil's multi-level-marketing distributors.

Of course there are benefits to synthetic base stock oil in some circumstances, such as extremely cold climates. For most people, synthetic is simply throwing money away, other than the fact that it makes them feel good by believing they are doing something good. It's rather like a religion.

Reply to
SMS