Can you "feel" a difference after a regular oil change?

Page 2 of 4
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

It's OK here, and it works great as termite preventer. I "scientifically" applied a few gallons to a section of fence with a Wagner spray gun and no termites on that section after 15 years, they went through the rest like a buzz saw. Neighbor thought I was running a tattoo gun and came over to see what kind of rig I was running.
When I was a kid and we had to put in new fence posts, we routinely soaked the bottom foot or so in old drain oil. Did that now I'd be in jail. And no, I've never noticed anything after an oil change as far as performance. But I seldom go as far as 4000 miles as I prepayed for 3000/3month "free" lifetime oil/filter changes.
Ron in Idaho
Fat Moe wrote:

Whoa! You do what? I hope you are not using used oil to kill weeds. That is against the law for sure and BAD thing to do for the environment.
Tony Hwang wrote:

have you ever been to la brea tar pits?
jim beam wrote:

Hi, Have you been to oil sand tiling pond?
Tony Hwang wrote:

no, but i've been to the tar pits and they're rank. my point is, while i don't think it's a good idea to wantonly spread oil anywhere, nature does a pretty good job of spreading that stuff about on its own.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

I notice my wallet is lighter.
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:49:24 -0400, News wrote:

That's for sure.

Well, not being a mechanic, I would've guessed the engine is controlled by a tightly timed ignition system rather than how lubricated the engine is.
Al

Mine runs better just after it's washed and even better if I get it waxed too.
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
Big Al wrote:

No.
People claim a lot of things. I.e. they claim they can feel the difference between synthetic base stock oil and petroleum base stock oil, but of course they can't.
SMS wrote:

except that you can measure the difference on a dyno. 1-3% in not trivial. that means you'll be a cars length ahead of the guy that started beside you by the end of the block.

A car's length? It would be hard to feel the difference in acceleration. Plus, you would have to floor it to feel the difference.
No, it's one's imagination.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

not good at math - are you.
Jeff wrote:

What's rather amusing is that even companies like Exxon-Mobile have never claimed, nor of course proven, an increase in MPG from synthetic base stock oil. Of course you see claims all over the map from Amsoil's multi-level-marketing distributors.
Of course there are benefits to synthetic base stock oil in some circumstances, such as extremely cold climates. For most people, synthetic is simply throwing money away, other than the fact that it makes them feel good by believing they are doing something good. It's rather like a religion.
SMS wrote:

er, yes they have. that's why they have "economy" branded blends.

of course, because amsoil marketeers are fuck-heads, that means all the technology of all other companies is bogus!

but you just said that there's no such thing as better economy. you /do/ know that economy and viscosity, what affects cold starting, are related don't you??? oh, wait, maybe you didn't.

yup. and remaining fiercely ignorant is a fabulous way to go through life.

They don't? Look here: <http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil / Oils/Mobil_1_FAQs.aspx#FAQs1>

Actually, if there is less friction, there is better fuel economy.
And to meet the oil standards set by the API, the oil has to save fuel. And, the engine will last longer.
Overall, though, the savings are small and only a small percentage of people will actually have their cars long enough to benefit from a longer-lasting engine. Most people sell their cars well before this or the cars have other problems, like that a crash, that ends the service of the car.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

They only claim the increased fuel economy for 0W20 and 0W30. Yeah, since it's not possible to make a 0W20 or 0W30 with petroleum base stock, they have a point there. But even for the "Advanced Fuel Economy" products, they keep going back to "during warm up" every time they make a claim of reduced friction or "saving" energy.
"During warm-up, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy flows faster because of its lower viscosity to minimize metal to metal contact to reduce friction and wear."
"During the warm up phase, the Mobil 1 fully synthetic formulation because of its lower viscosity flows more easily through the oil pump, requiring less energy to pump the oil to the critical engine parts."
"http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx "
But for their "regular" synthetic oil, 5W20 and 5W30, they make no claims of increased fuel economy.
SMS wrote:

you're confused dude. badly confused.

"http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx "

see above.