Car stops running while Im driving.

This is the third time that this has happened to me. I was driving and the engine stopped running. It will try to turn over but it wont start. the first time I sat for 20 min. the second time was for a hour
and the last yesterday for 4 hours. then when I turn the key, it starts up. what can I do? I bought the car off of a lot in november. and the service engine alert is on. I think it was on when I bought it. it also has 132,000 miles on it. thanks.
drewer wrote:

It would help to know what year and model this is...
Next time the problem resurfaces, listen carefully as you turn the key from Off to Acc to Run. As you get to Run (not start) you should hear a relay clicking (turning on the fuel pump) and then around 3 seconds later you should hear it clicking again (turning off the fuel pump). If you do not hear this, it could be a broken main relay (fuel pump relay)
Keep in mind that depending on your year and model, this information might be completely irrelevant.
A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:

Ignition switch or igniter. Most likely igniter at this point.
If you have a tachometer, does the tach needle drop suddenly before the car stalls? When you crank during the no-start episode, is the tach needle dead still, or does it jiggle a tiny bit?

Do you mean the "Maintenance Required light, or the Check Engine light?
If the Check Engine light, you need to get the code read that's behind the light. For that we need to know your year and model.

And you bought the car anyway? Not a good idea.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

When you bought the car, did it come with a year, make and model?
Like I said to the last poster who also indicates that his/her service indicator is on, why make guesses as to what it is when the car might be trying to tell you.
Your symtoms could be a common thing, or not, but the code will tell.
Why would to buy a car with the Service or check engine light on without finding out way? This amazes me.
If it is a "Check Engine" light, take it to AutoZone or a place like that and if the car is newer than a 1996, they can hook up the OBD II code scanner and tell you why.
G-Man