Carfax?

Page 1 of 2
Is there anyone with either carfax.com or autocheck.com service right now that could run one check for me? Please email me. I will pass your favor along to someone else somehow. Thank you.

On 09/23/2009 05:53 PM, Elle wrote:

elle, with respect, neither are going to be anywhere /near/ as useful as a proper physical inspection. you know a little bit more about engine inspection now than you did before. with the honda d-series engine, you can see if there's sludge/resin and you can see the cam lobes to inspect for wear. this is a good indicator of condition in the rest of the engine.

Hi Jim. The purpose to me of these title check services is to offer some evidence for whether the car either (1) is a salvage vehicle (if it is, this is a car property insurance problem, for one); (2) has had more owners than the seller is claiming; or (3) has had the odometer tampered with. Carfaxdotcom and autocheckdotcom from my reading are not perfect, but to me they give more peace of mind. The physical car inspection is as important, absolutely. If I am not pleased with either the title check or the physical inspection, then I reject a used car. Believe me, my physical inspection checklist derives largely from reading here over the years. I am looking at 7th generation ( = 2001-2005) Civics with around 100k miles or less on them and documents to support length of ownership and maintenance, too.
On 9/24/09 4:30 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@v2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com, "Elle"

I wouldn't put much stock in carfax helping with number 2 on your list. I have seen the carfax for a couple of vehicles I bought new with less than 20 miles on the odometer and it aready showed 3 owners. The explanation from the dealer was that transfers between dealers were recorded. If this is happening already with a brand new car that has never actually been sold to a consumer, I can't imagine what will show up on one that has been traded in and resold a couple of times.
But then, the number of owners is really irrelevant. Its the maintenance and accident history you are more interested in.
On 09/24/2009 06:15 AM, E. Meyer wrote:

and even that doesn't mean anything much. those sources only show you what has been recorded, not unrecorded. i've seen "clean title" vehicles that are clearly rebuilt serious accident victims. i've seen "salvage" vehicles in perfect condition [i own one]. and i've had 300k mile vehicles in better condition than 100k. the only reliable method of determining quality is inspection. end of story.

I am just a rank amateur car buyer but IMHO I disagree with **not** using carfax.
Sure if an experienced con/shyster wants to shyster someone, then someone will likely be shystered.
And there are many car's that may not show all their histories on carfax but i doubt the number is significant compared to all the car's problems that will appear.
I subscribed to carfax a few years ago for the intentional purpose of checking/buying a used car. One car that was on a large dealer's used lot was less than 1 yr old. When I inquired about why such a new car was on the used lot the reason given was that the customer/owner traded up.
Well... car fax showed that the car was involved in an extensive front end collision about 3 months after it was purchased and it had bounced across 5 different *used* dealer lots before ending up at this dealer's used lot. That was one car and salesperson i needed to avoid. It only took minutes to get that info.
and there are many more stories like that one, than a story like this, (fake story follows --->) "a friend bought a car and it was in 3 wrecks and was totaled out as a salvage because it was submerged in the great flood of New Orleans and carfax showed the car had only one owner and had never been in an accident, carfax sux" (<---end of fake story)
I tend to think of carfax as a time saver. Inspection can take lots of ones time. If someone is trying to shyster you then it might take **more** inspection time. carfax can eliminate many (maybe not all) but many of those wastes.
my $0.02 robb
robb wrote:

CFX is not a credible sole source of positive info, but is hard to ignore as a potential red flag.
On 09/24/2009 09:33 AM, robb wrote:

if you don't inspect, or take the vehicle to someone competent to inspect, you'd never know that - you're just guessing.

you found one with a record. you didn't find one with the same history /without/ a record.

you're spending a thousands of dollars, and the safety of your self and family is at stake - so you want to save a few minutes??? that's a joke, right?

again, that's bogus. inspection time is /less/ with the damaged car than the real deal. once it's shown to be dud, the inspection is over!
you don't work for walletfax do you?
robb wrote:

Carfax is one test of many. It can turn up problems, but NEVER count on it to do so. IOW, assume that a car they say is bad is indeed bad, but don't assume that one they say is 'clean' is clean.
On 09/24/2009 09:40 PM, Leftie wrote:

even that is not very reliable. a 5-year old car has significantly depreciated, and a cosmetic fender bender will cause it to be written off. and yet you can get a structural rebuild done by [drunken] monkeys on a 3-month old car with no history.
spend the money having aaa physically inspect for you. /wayyy/ more reliable.

Up here in Canada, we have a show called Marketplace. They did a story on Carfax and showed how inadequate it is.
I concur with the other posters that suggest a physical inspection is the only way to go.

Both are the way to go. Learning wether a car was used as a rental car or totaled in an accident can be invaluable information.
On 09/25/2009 07:46 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:

nope. rental cars can be abused, or they can be well maintained. "totaled" can be physically utterly trivial depending on what the insurance company deemed value to be at the time. relying on anything other than physical inspection is an exercise in self-deception and gullibility to advertising..

It is still useful information. Would you want a car that passed inspection with a glowing report that had been totaled previously?
I do both.
On 9/25/09 7:13 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net, "AZ Nomad"

Depends on the price & physical condition of the car. I have owned cars that were previously declared totalled & gotten many years & many miles of good service out of them. But then, I don't even trust paying a mechanic to do a mechanical inspection before I buy a car. I do it myself. If there is anything seriously wrong with a car, its usually pretty obvious once you start looking closely at it.

On 09/25/2009 05:13 PM, AZ Nomad wrote:

unless your carfax report states the nature of the damage, you have no idea what "totaled" means other than that the insurance company considered it "uneconomic to repair". it doesn't mean squat in terms of structural integrity. oh, and vehicles are are repaired, but don't have any record on carfax, can be chop-shop repairs - i.e. uber dangerous.

you should only spend you money on the one that matters - physical inspection.
friend had their teenage daughter joyride their new lexus over an embankment. the vehicle was inspected, repaired, and given a clean bill of health. but it didn't drive right. after getting the brush off from the insurance company several times, he submitted a report from an independent inspector revealing the problem - irrepairably bucked subframe. insurance company wrote off the vehicle and paid for a new one.
without that insistent and pedantic owner, inspection and subsequent write-off, there would have been no carfax, and you could have been driving that vehicle right now.

It is still useful information.
On 09/27/2009 08:29 PM, AZ Nomad wrote:

how? it can't be relied on for proof of condition, either good or bad. why would you spend the money on carfax when you can spend it on something reliable i.e. physical inspection?

If you have the knowledge, you can act on it. This is really basic stuff. Ignorance isn't bliss.
On 09/28/2009 12:50 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:

indeed, ignorance isn't bliss. but with carfax, the ignorance not only remains, but one can be misled.