Carfax, Buying Used, & Craigslist.org

Page 4 of 6

I was talking about a year old car, not a twenty old junker.
wrote

I know :-) You were talknig about one year old... :-))) But we were talking here in this thread about the sense in making mpg comparisons when buying almost 20 years old junker (93 civic).
Pszemol wrote:

1. 2008 - 1993 = 15. see my earlier comment about your math.
2. you don't seem to understand that modern cars are much heavier than the older ones, and thus, because the extra weight takes more energy to move around, many modern cars lose their fuel efficiency advantage compared to older ones. or at least, older hondas. a literally 20 year old crx hf can out-perform the current civic hybrid by some margin in fuel economy ratings.

15 years old junker or 20 years old junker - what is really the difference?

I was never comparing her 93 to todays 2008 models but I was comparing her 93 now with 185k miles to *the same car* when young, with 10k miles in 1993. Do you really think her 93 with 185k burns less fuel than when it had 10k miles on the odometer? I certainly doubt it.
Pszemol wrote:

You really don't know much do you?
A car with 10K on it will almost always be less fuel efficient than one with 50K or more...
<sigh>
JT

Another with childish coments?

Really? So the best days for a car start when the warranty ends :-)) Show me the source of your information about 50k, Master!

Only if you drive a yugo. Most cars come a warranty that is a bit longer than 10K miles.

I am not sure if you noticed 50k there... Usual warranty period is 36, sometimes 40 - very rarelly any longer.

Yeah right. Pretty rare. The following makers all have basic warranties greater than 40K miles: Acura      4/50,000 Audi      4/50,000 BMW      4/50,000 Buick      4/50,000 Cadillac 4/50,000      HUMMER      4/50,000 Hyundai 5/60,000 Infiniti 4/60,000 Isuzu      3/50,000 Jaguar      4/50,000      Kia      5/60,000 Land Rover      4/50,000 Lexus          4/50,000 Lincoln      4/50,000      Mercedes-Benz      4/50,000      MINI          4/50,000 Mitsubishi      5/60,000 Porsche      4/50,000 Saab          4/50,000 Volkswagen      4/50,000 Volvo          4/50,000
but lets say gas is $ 9.00 per gal in say 2 years . then what ? it could well be.

I can see you have a lot of time on your hand, please add to the list the BIGGEST car manufacturers like toyota, gm, ford honda and not only with their luxury items.
What is the warranty on honda, discussed here?

Hyundai at 10 years/100k miles on the powertrain. The first "long warranty" company.
I was wondering where Hyundai was until you went to the heart of the matter.
Pszemol wrote:

the "difference" is that you don't know what you're talking about.

yes i do - at 10k, the motor is still tight and thus wastes more energy on friction.

Can you point me to some source information on this subject?
Pszemol wrote:

absolutely. http://www.google.com
hth.

You expect somebody who was incapable of operating a web browser and visiting google in the first place to be able to use it now? You need to give him a search string. Obviously, he can't do it by himself.
Pez: try "engine break-in fuel economy"
AZ Nomad wrote:

obviously. but all i'll help him with is kicking the chair out of the way after he's put the noose around his own idiot neck.

I can see now more clearly what sort of people you are.
Pszemol wrote:

"i can now see more clearly what sort of person you are".
english. math. what are our schools coming to?

You think his English is bad? Out of my immediate group of coworkers, five out of seven are from India. A couple of them sound like indians from an early hollywood western. It's also related to our broken educational system -- the company wouldn't be able to find enough software engineers if having english as a first language was a serious requirement.