Carfax, Buying Used, & Craigslist.org

Page 6 of 6
Pszemol wrote:

that's spot data!!! it's spot data that comprises an average. [and there's two t's in "spotting", two c's in "chance".]
spot data is is essential to acquire, but seems you don't understand the concept of interpretation.

education problems? [two m's in "comments", and your computer has a spell checker.] no, i don't think i have education problems. i have a problem with idiots that can't do math [or spell] though.
Elle wrote:

I'm offended!
What would he call my '82 'n '83 junkers? Scrap???
Grrrrr
JT
(Just pokin' along with my ol' 42mpg junker...)

It depends on the car...

That depends on you. I average, over the past 10 years, about 20000 miles per year...

So, let's say 20000/30 = 667 gallons, 20000/35 = 571 Gallons. Difference is 96 Gallons. 96*5 = $480 per year, or $40/month.

It's not all about money. Some people also feel a responsibility to conserve resources (clearly I am not one, since my car isn't nearly that good on fuel)...

Not necessarily. Only if that is your criteria...

Even $40/month is a substancial savings for some folks...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Of course! You are correct - all depends on your particular car and you kind of driving - I gave just two simple examples ilustrating how simple the math really is - it is good to realize how much you are really saving on a car with higher gas mileage because the math is really simple and most of folks out there imagine the savings to be enourmous when switching from a car which makes 35 to a hybrid and drive only 10-12k miles a year. Just do the math and make an educated decision without guessing or wrongly assuming huge savings...
Similar math you can do to justify buying a foreign car requiring premium gas. Premium from regular is usually only 20-30 cents apart per gallon so it is relativelly easy to calculate how much more or less you will spend on gas buying this passat GTX, or audi A6 or you rather stay with honda accord which is perfectly ok consuming regular unleaded. :-)