catalytic Converter?

If I replace the catalytic converter with an universal one, (only because I can save a ton of money vs buying original Honda. does anyone know if this will keep or clear the check engine light? Honda
dealer is saying it may or may not since its not the original.

It will work just fine, just not for very long.
Aftermarket cats are cheap largely because they aren't made as well as OEM cats. You'll get at least two years out of the aftermarket job, maybe one or two more. An OEM cat is good for 15 years.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Unless it is on an Odyssey. On the Odyssey you need a cat that is designed for large volume which most general replacements aren't.

You mean you'd need a cat designed for the gas flow from a 3.5L V6 instead of a 1.5L four. If you put a 4-banger cat on the V6, you wouldn't be going anywhere very quickly, and your MIL will probably come on.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
If you read the threads on odyclub.com on replacing the Odyssey converter with an after market Converter very few succeed. Most have problems with the code returning shortly after the replacement probably due to the tight specs of the computer and the volume of the 3.5 engine. Replacing the converter on an Odyssey I would get a written guarantee that it will work....

Hm. Then it would appear obvious that the aftermarket cats in question have not sufficient fluid flow for the 3.5's needs.
Considering the aftermarket makes cats for engines as large as seven liters (or 3.5 liters per bank), somebody's getting pretty poor service somewhere...