CATALYTIC CONVERTER 95 HONDA DX COUPE

All of a sudden my quiet exhaust system went loud, and on inspection there's a huge exhause leak at the rear of the converter near where it connects to the extension pipe and it appears to be rusted out, so I
need a new converter.
I would appreciate any recommendations as to where to buy one at a decent price that will do it yourself install easily and fit exactly and restore the original sound and fit.
Thanks in advance !
Land O'Lakes Fred

<proper crossposting added>
Any muffler shop can sell you an aftermarket cat. Do not expect proper fit, and do not expect fine build quality. Those properties are found only on OEM cats.
But OEM will be horribly expensive, so aftermarket is often the only realistic option for most people.
I'm currently running an aftermarket Walker on my Integra. The OEM one rusted out a couple of years ago, and Honda has discontinued the OEM cats.
The Walker is appallingly poorly-made and does not fit well, but did function correctly as far as its first smog-check went. How it will perform next year is a question mark.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

You are actually using non OEM and advising someone to buy non OEM ? Where is my defibrillator ?

You can put away the defibrillator. I _don't_ recommend aftermarket, I recommend OEM.
I cannot buy a new OEM cat for my car, no matter what, so I was _forced_ into aftermarket.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

In this case, the price differential is such that there is really no viable option. You're talking about 4-6x as much for the OEM.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Joe wrote:

I have had very good experiences with aftermarket catalytic converters, but I have not yet bought one for a Honda.
The last one that I replaced was a perfect fit, and it was $180.00 compared to probably $500.00 to $600.00 for OEM.
That catalytic converter was on my wrecked car that I parted out and it is in use on another vehicle today. It has seen over 10 years of use and at least 125,000 miles.
Is it impossible to get a properly-fitting catalytic converter for Hondas? The ones that I have dealt with, for Nissan and Mazda, were both identical to OEM in size and pipe angle, and they bolted in as easily as an OEM unit.
My current aftermarket cat is an exception to this, because it is 3 inches to match the exhaust.

You don't have to justify this to me. I agree 100 % , I am just very very surprised our resident guru is using anything OEM. So it is okay to buy aftermarket when OEM is too expensive. Wow

On 3/8/10 8:26 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@barada.griffincs.local,

OEM is $467 @ Majestic Honda. How much is aftermarket?

Certainly depends on make/model, but aftermarket is almost always under $200... Majestic has nice prices, but they don't usually reflect local pricing... They're nice if it's something you can wait for, though...