Changing CR-V oil

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying an 05 or 06 CR-V. Before I do, I'd like to know if the oil filter is easily accessible so I can change my own oil.
I ask this because I had an 89 Accord. I was always
annoyed that the oil filter was so far back in the engine that I had to take it to a shop to get the oil changed.
Thanks in advance, Bill
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

----------------------------------
If it's as invisible as the earlier CR-V's, you can always add an oil filter relocater kit, moving it to the firewall, or higher up, even accessible from above. Sign in and do a search at hondasuv.com.
'Curly'
Well on my 01 its not visible, but not difficult to change, you have to reach up for it.
One thing to remember if you change it yourself is to make sure you have the old gasket off before installing the new filter.
Tom

Yes-- there was an issue on the CRV's from a couple of years ago with regard to those gaskets-- it you don't replace that gasket, oil can leak on the exhaust system and catch fire--
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5403348 /
http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0407/14/autos-207870.htm
Take it to the dealer-- if they do it wrong and it catches fire-- their fault you get a new car.
If you do it yourself and it catches fire you're SOL.
Is it worth the risk?
Also-- the service interval on the new CRV's is every 5K-10K for an oil change. Not too much to put up with if you have to take it to the dealer.

Well you would have to be a moron to remove the old filter, and see that the gasket is not there on the filter, it would have to be still stuck to the engine block!
Tom

Well aren't you just a know-it-all!

Matter of fact Yeah!
Tom

I believe that at first Honda Tech's were not paying attention to the gasket, at filter changes and there were fires, and I suppose that its an honest mistake, if you never have changed an oil filter.
Tom

twfsa wrote:

I understood it different. The filters were crappy Chinese filters that Honda had never used before, and nobody in the world would have anticipated that the gasket would stick to the engine better than it stuck to the filter.
That's the version I heard. FWIF
'Curly'