changing dist rotor on CR-V

I am trying to change the dist. rotor on a 97 CR-V, but can't get a screwdriver or ratchet behind it to loosen the screw. Any ideas or help?? thanks

Reply to
Bud Campbell via CarKB.com

-----------------------

The screw head has to be facing the firewall for you to get at it . . Turn the engine over using the starter and / or power steering pulley nut to get it there. Be sure to use a large phillips screwdriver, or grind a few thousandths off the tip of whatever you have if it doesn't fit the screw PERFECTLY. A drywaller's large tip might fit well. You'll probably need lots of torque to get it out, so don't start by wrecking the screw with an incorrect tip.

You can also slip the distributor out in about five minutes, but make sure to mark the exact position of the timing adjustment, and replace the O-ring when you reassemble.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

i use an impact screwdriver to get this screw undone. You know, you whack the end of this screwdriver with a hammer, and it turns and pushes down simultaneously. This tool works great for any stripped or stubborn fasteners, as long as you have room to swing a hammer.

disallow

-------------------

Impact driver sounds like a good (actually great)idea, but distributor MUST be removed and the top end rested on an anvil or something (destroy the old rotor), since you'd be hammering against a fairly soft steel shaft that's inside a cast aluminum distributor. Something could surely get bent or cracked.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

"motsco_ _" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

I am assuming this is all concerning a PHILLIPS screw?

Reply to
TeGGer®

I used it on my rotor (98 civic). You don't have to whale on it or nuthin, in fact mine came off without having to hit very hard at all. The impact screwdriver is heavy and the handle has a large diameter, allowing for maximum leverage.

And yes, its the philips (correct spelling..hehe) screw that holds the rotor to the distributor shaft.

t :)

Reply to
disallow

also, it is the recommended tool to use on civic brake rotors....

Reply to
disallow

"disallow" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Sorry, but no. It's Phillips.

TeGGer®

How often does the rotor require replaceing?

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

depends on the vehicle, check the manual or ask the dealer. I did mine after 100000kms. probably should have done it before.

I have a 98 civic.

disallow

Some say as much as 300k km.... cheerio.

Reply to
NewYapAhLoy