changing manual to automatic

i have a 98 prelude waitn to be used, but i cant drive a manual, is it possible to change it to automatic?

Reply to
vatana

We have experts on this list that may answer your question. If they don't, my gues would be no. Not without an enormous amount of effort. You might have to replace the engine and transmission as well as the radiator, center console, throttle linkages, etc. It would cost a lot more than the car is worth and a lot more than just going out and buying another Honda of similar vintage.

By the way, there may be posters on this list who want to know why you can't drive a manual. I assert that is none of our business.

Elliot Richmond Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Actually, the path of least resistance would be to learn how. But, failing that the better option would be to try and trade the 5spd for a Prelude with an automatic.

Reply to
tww

Yes, I agree with you. I subscribe to a car magazine and someone asked the editor (a mechanic) this same question. The answer was that it would cost over $2000. In other words, trading the 98 Prelude in on a car that has an automatic tranmission would be the best option. I know how to drive a car that has a manual transmission but prefer a car that has an auto. transmission. Lots of people are like me--I saw some statistics indicating that the vast majority of people prefer an auto. transmission. Jason

Reply to
Jason

I think the Car Talk guys got asked this question a few years ago. IIRC they similarly concluded it would be cheaper to trade the car in.

Reply to
Elle

This question is asked hundred of times everywhere, and always gets answered the same.

Sort of like the old, "Can I turn my B&W TV into color..?"

Reply to
Larry J.

Yes but this question would be more like going from color to Black and White...

Going from manual to automatic you lose: gas mileage and performance, and really gain nothing...

Reply to
James

Possible, but not even remotely practical. I once drove a van that had been crudely converted to an automatic - it could even be started in any gear! Anyway, think of all the times we are asked whether it is a manual or automatic when buying parts and you will understand the scope of the chore.

I agree with so many others - if you will not be able to drive a stick, trading for an auto is the way to go.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"James" wrote

Going from color to B&W TV is easy. Just turn down the saturation. Going from B&W TV into color is a technical challenge. The tube and the board has to be redesigned.

Reply to
Burt

wrote

We did a swap long ago that went fine. The transmission needs a cooler so you will need a 12" x 12" x 1" cooler from the salvage yard. You will need a gear selector with the safety switch and the cable. You will need the throttle cable and a throttle lever. And if the tranny is controlled by a central computer, which ours didn't, then get a harness and TCU and figure out how it integrates with the ECU. You will need a drive plate.

You might wonder why, but the swap cost about $500 in parts but to trade in for an auto would cost 5 times as much. Plus, we love the car.

There was an argument over the neutral safety switch. I was for it. Overall, it turned out fine but the whole project was remotely practical... My next project will have to be "how to convert to electric and achieve 100-mpg." - don't laugh, it's already been done.

Reply to
Burt

Back in the late '60s Popular Electronics magazine had an article to make a B&W TV color with a color wheel. Maybe that is the solution - the OP can have somebody else drive the Prelude!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Burt" wrote

How much for labor?

Reply to
Elle

It appears from your post that you done all of the work yourself--or with the help of your friends. It was obvious that the OR (original poster) would have had to pay a mechanic to do the (tranny transplant) work. The mechanic probably would have charged the OR at least $1000.00 (for labor) and would have to pay about $500 to $1000 for a tranny that was in perfect condition. Jason

Reply to
Jason

"Jason" wrote

You're correct . Labor would have totaled $1000 or more. Today's rate is $55/hour. It took us 18 hours. Parts for the 98 prelude would have exceeded $2000. The transmission computer would nearly cost as much as the transmission itself.

Every stick we own were swapped into auto for the reason that the model we need to do the job were mostly manufactured with stick.

Reply to
Burt

I'm gonna go against the grain here too and say, it's definitely POSSIBLE, and it's certainly not IMPRACTICAL... IF you're planning to do it as a DIY, learn-how-things-work project.

A trade only picks your pocket if you go through a dealer, or if you ALLOW your pocket to be picked. The trick is simply to find someone with a similar auto car who would prefer a standard. Personally, if I had an auto Prelude in similar condition to the OP's, I'd trade straight across in a heartbeat. Autos are convenient if you spend a lot of time in stop-and-go traffic... other than that, they're a drag to drive.

Of course, the other option here is to simply LEARN to drive a standard... it's really not that hard.

Reply to
Matt Ion

I assume the OP has a physical problem that prevents him from using the clutch. I injured the tendons in the sole of my left foot years ago and had to clutch with my heel for a year. No fun.

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

it's also possible to learn to drive a manual!

Reply to
Skyhawk

"Michael Pardee" wrote

A computer-controlled clutch that allows the driver to make gear changes without touching the clutch pedal. These gear changes can be done by the computer far quicker than even the fastest human being with a conventional manual transmission.

I have a plan to incorporate this idea onto a VX but I'd been wrestling whether to design one using motors or vacuum. Anybody have ideas?

Reply to
Burt

I doubt that any companies would buy it. I subscribe to various car magazine and I have read about some of the newest cars that have auto. transmissions but allow the driver to change gears (almost like a manual gear shift) or shift it into one of the gears and not have to use the manual mode (auto. mode). Such a system is great because the husband or teenage child could shift gears (manual mode) and the wife would not have to shift gears (auto. mode). Visit a BMW and Acura dealership and take a look at those cars. Jason

Reply to
Jason

"Jason" wrote

Toyota also makes a similar technology. I believe that it will work like this:

When starting out you'll open the throttle and the computer will engage the clutch. If you open the throttle only a little, the computer will allow the clutch to slip a bit. The computer won't let the clutch out fast enough to stall the motor, just like a skilled rider. The driver shifts gears by moving the floorshift to the "+" (upshift) or "-" (downshift) positions.

Reply to
Burt