Changing O2 sensor on '03 Accord

Just some observations.

I have been getting an intermittent code of P0141, which indicated that I needed to address the secondary heated O2 sensor. The Helms manual specifies a number of tests to perform, but lacking some of the specific tools and the majority of the electrical knowledge to use them, I opted to replace the sensor.

This took me just over an hour, as I had to put my car up on jackstands, and then be very meticulous about each step. The actual work only took a few minutes, and the whole process would probably only take me 15 minutes if I had to do it again.

The first step is removal of the front seat. There are four bolts to take out. The single thing that took me the longest was removing a plastic clip holding the seatbelt sensor, so that I could take the seat completely out. This part of the job isn't mentioned anywhere I looked, so I thought I'd mention it here.

The rest of the job is pretty simple and straightforward, and didn't take long at all.

I saw the requisite tool (Snap-on YA8875) for sale for thirty dollars or so, but found an offset O2 sensor wrench at AutoZone for $10 that worked just fine. The sensor itself cost me $60, shipping included.

My local dealer gets $350 to do this job.

Happy Holidays.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Why does the Front Seat have to come out?

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

"G-Man" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

that's got me wondering,too!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

On 12/19/2005 9:12 AM G-Man spake these words of knowledge:

The sensor cable runs through an opening in the floor of the car, and connects via a 4-pin connector to interior wiring. That connection is under the carpeting, and essentially impossible to get to without complete removal of the seat. (I originally thought that I might be able to get to it by removing the front bolts, loosening the rear bolts, and leaning the seat back, but no such luck.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen