Changing the oil is SO inconvenient

Gawd, who wants to be bothered? I have things to do, like sit around and chat with my girlfriends at the coffee shop. And those dealerships are all so grungy....ewwwwwwww, who wants to go THERE. And anyway, I'm just leasing it--I don't care. They get it back anyway. It's not my problem.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

i've seen and/or repaired a number of seized engines that had been run dry. they usually lock up long before anything like that happens - so i'm not sure of the authenticity of that diagnosis. that bearing had been blown and then driven for a /long/ time for that amount of heating and deformation to have occurred - it's no simple lube failure you're looking at there.

talking of which, and further to our recent debate about timing belt replacement, i finally got to pulling usable bits off the civic motor that had died from oil strainer clogging and lubrication failure this weekend. this is the one that died because the cam bearings had welded themselves solid. well, not only did the cam belt /not/ break, it was strong enough to have stripped the tooth off the gear that locks it to the camshaft as the crank continued to turn. no mean feat for a rubber belt that people are so afraid of breaking.

Reply to
jim beam

that's why the dealer offers free donuts.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

That's real sad. I change it myself in the back yard. Use Castrol high mileage oil. My S-10 has two hundred and fifty five thousand miles on it. My son will be driving it for the remainder of it's time. CRV is approaching two hundred thousand. ETC....

Reply to
4546