Check Engine Light - Code 1259

My babysitter's '99 Honda Civic HX (non-VTEC engine) had the check engine light come on. I put the scan tool to it and got the code P1259 which is supposed to be a VTEC malfunction. I erased the code several times and it keeps coming back. Concurrently, after having had her clutch and tranny replaced, she cannot rev the engine above 4K RPMs. It's like it has a rev limiter that kicks it down. Any ideas?

Thanks, Rosscoe

Reply to
Me

-----------------------------

Find a smarter babysitter ?

She replaced the clutch and tranny as a result of that CODE?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Perhaps I didn't explain it correctly or you don't understand English.

-replaced tranny & clutch becuase they died

-after that, unable to exceed 4K RPMs

-months later, code shows up (P1259; problem with VTEC).

-car doesn't have a VTEC engine

Reply to
Me

---------------------------

I'll defer to the wisdom of Tegger or somebody else. It sounds like your code reader is too generic if it comes up with an impossible code.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"Me" wrote in news:kNmdnRiNEpqn4tbbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

How? I can see a clutch dying,but you have to screw up to wreck a manual tranny,IMO.

And the mechanic let that pass? Who was the mechanic? a Dealer?

I'd check to see the ECU is one that matches the motor in your car. Maybe the clutch/tranny is not the only thing that got swapped out.

after all,should a non-VTEC ECU even HAVE the code for a VTEC function? AFAIK,the ECU is not a universal ECU that works on all models. Or is there a jumper or dummy connector that tells the ECU it's not a VTEC installation?

Maybe a wire harness got nicked or cut during the tranny swap.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Whoops. Turns out it is a VTEC. Guess we'll have to check it out from that stand point.

Reply to
Me