Check Engine Light on a 95 Honda Accord

1. I've got an illuminated check engine light.
2. What i notice while driving is: the rpm gauge works sporadically or not at all. The vehicle jerks a little during speed changes.
2. After hooking a OBD II scanner to it...I got po725.
3. The service manual says po725 ='s Symptom: lock-up clutch does not engage. Possible Causes: Disconnected ignition coil connector Short or open in ignition coil wire Faulty ignition coil
4. Service Manual goes on to say in the Troubleshooting Flowchart: Disconnect harness from the Transmission Control Module TCM and measure for battery voltage with the ignition switch on; at leads a5 and a 26.
-is there battery voltage? -NO repair open or short in the wire between the A5 terminal and the ignition coil.
-YES Check for loose TCM connector. If necessary substitute a known good TCM and recheck.
5. After i measured the voltage, with the ignition switch on... i got a reading of 3 volts. Well below the 12 volt reading i get at the battery. The service manual gives a yes or no answer...I'm sort of in-between with 3 volts.
6. Do i have a bad ignition coil?

I'd suspect the igniter,inside the distributor.a Jerky tach is the clue. The igniter is what triggers the coil,and sends a signal to the ECU for RPM data.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's P0725, not Po725. ("Zero", not "oh".)

Try replacing the thermostat. If it's too old, the engine will not reach full operating temperature and the lockup clutch will not engage.
As for the tach, it's unlikely to be a faulty igniter, as that would make the car cease to proceed, as they say. Check the blue wire's connection at the igniter inside the coil. Bet it's corroded or the wire is broken.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Zeek wrote:

The tach symptom points to an electronic problem, but start with the simplest of fixes: Be absolutely sure there's coolant to the top of the rad, and well above the -MIN- mark on the reservoir. Air in the system will prevent the computer from telling the lock-up clutch to engage. I keep mine filled to MAX and it doesn't wander at all.
'Curly'