Check Engine Light-- On, then Off

07 Accord EXL V6 automatic 30K miles, original owner, all scheduled maintenance done on time.
Yesterday after driving about 20 suburban miles, the check engine light
came on and stayed on. I pulled over, checked for loose gas cap and something disconnected or dangling under the hood but all seemed normal.
I restarted the engine and the light went off after self-test. It's stayed off since then with about 30 additional suburban miles.
Should I get the car checked?

You need to have the computer scanned for error codes (DTCs). There are some 100 codes that can cause the MIL to illuminate.
Many auto parts places (except in CA) will loan you an OBD-II reader for free so you can check for DTCs yourself. A garage will usually charge you up to $80 to do it for you.
--
Tegger

On 2/9/11 1:48 PM, Tegger wrote:

Thanks, I'll get it checked and report back.
On 2/11/11 9:52 AM, Red Butler wrote:

Went by a nearby dealer who offered to scan it for $60-- commenting that since the light is off, there's nothing wrong with it now. He said it was most likely just reacting to some minor transitory event. I thanked him and left.
I called my regular dealer (clear on the other side of town) and they said about the same thing. The guy I spoke with said there's probably a code in there but not to worry. He said he read/clear it for me at no charge at my next regular service-- that will be in about 3 months given the small amount I drive.

for $60,you can BUY your own code reader.(I did.) go to an Autozone,Advance Auto Parts,or Pep Boys,and they'll read it for free.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik