Check Out Fees

When I went to the Honda dealer for my ignition problem, at the place where I sign the service sheet, he had written in, $100 ck. out. He explained they charge $100 to "check out" things, and it will be
waived if they find something. What are other dealers charging for this "check out" fee? Sort of feels like a rip to me. Wade

Well, many shops charge a diagnostic fee to figure out your problem (frequently, it takes 5 minutes to hook up the computer, run it and come up with the diagnosis) and many places will not charge you if there is indeed something wrong (or they can convince you that there is) and you get it fixed. My independent shop generally charges $65.
Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA
In article

It is a rip.
They're on a fishing expedition, AND they want to charge you for it.
Ask him to check your muffler bearings.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Time to "check out" a new service facility.

Haha
Of course he told me my front pads were thin, which I already knew. I first replaced the front pads at about 82k and I still have wear left on the 2nd set at 172k.
The rotors were not turned at 82k.[and never have been] I have no issues with the brakes, is there any real need to turn the rotors?? There's no pulling or shuddering when I brake.
When I am parked and the engine is off, and depress the brake pedal, when I release the pedal, I hear a squeak, what is that and how do I get rid of it?
Wade

Probably the brake pedal pivots. Give them a shot of spray white grease and see if the noise goes away.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Most dealers will charge a diagnostics fee for "checking out" a reported problem. It keeps the time-wasting hypochondriacs and serial-shoppers away, and makes sure the garage will spend its time diagnosing problems that they'll actually get paid for.
Time-wasters are a huge problem for most dealerships, so you have to have some way of making sure they're kept at bay. Otherwise the techs will spend half their day working for nothing.
I know of no garage that will NOT waive the diag fee if they actually find a problem.
Independents, and chain stores like Midas, have a different approach: they offer "free" inspections, to /encourage/ you to bring your car in for diagnostics that you will get for "free". But they make their money off that by making sure their "free" inspection finds something wrong that is in dire need of repair.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 02/27/2010 04:40 AM, Tegger wrote: