Civic auto transmission question

I was trying to jumpstart a girl's late model Civic(left her lights on all day),don't know exactly what year Civic,but I could not get the shift lever
out of Park,even with my foot on the brake,and key in ignition.(wanted to push it out to where I could get close enough) After getting another car to move,I was able to get my car close enought to jump it,and it started immediately.
Is there some way to bypass that safety interlock? I didn't have any access to the owner's manual(her glove box was FULL of girl junk!).
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Without juice, the brake/shifter interlock won't function.

Near the shifter there should be a whole (probably with a plug in it) that you push the key into to manually unlock the shifter.