Civic drum squeak (in reverse)

I have a 99 Civic HX with 74k miles. I have replaced the front brakes a couple times (watch out for Raybestos QuietStop!) but the rear drums have never been touched.

Recently I started noticing brake squeal in the rear when backing down my steep driveway in the morning. I didn't notice under normal driving and braking, so I ignored it. After a few more weeks or so, I started to hear more of an intermittent scraping sound when braking in reverse. At this point I became concerned that the pads had worn down & were damaging the drum.

After a few days or so I bought some new brake shoes and popped open the drums. Not only did everything look fine, but the old shoes looked like they were only 50% worn; there was really no apparent use in replacing them. The inner drum surfaces were smooth, as were the shoes.

The brakes seem to be operating just fine; I use the e-brake every day. In forward motion the ebrake works effectively; the front discs squeal a little when cold (standard Raybestos organic pads), otherwise I don't notice anything. Does anyone have an idea what might cause these strange sounds? Again I only notice it in reverse, and if I pulse the brakes a few times it will start to go away.

thanks, Cooper

Reply to
Cooper Blake

"Cooper Blake" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ascent-csb.ascent.local:

Usually dust on the parts of the shoes that do not normally touch the drums. Remove drums, and wipe off the dust from the drums and shoes with a water-dampened rag.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

There's something like ten points in the back drums that need a dab of 'goopy stuff'. The original stuff from Honda is copper colored, and provides lubrication and _kills vibration_ . I use Coppercote. If somebody has been in there and cleaned it off, or is got washed off, you will get too much noise. P.S. I think it's good advice to set you handbrake cable loose enough to allow 5-8 clicks to lockup. The reasoning: If the cable is too tight (like VW, one click) it won't allow the auto adjusters to 'reload' when the handbrake is released. That adjustment is at the handle end on all Hondas, AFAIK.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'