Civic engine swap info needed

I'm thinking about swapping the engine in my 1989 civic lx with a much newer civic engine. i don't know if its even possible or if it would be worth it
and need advice. the engine i would like to put in it is an '01-'05 sohc d17a1. i know they have a much more updated distributor and ecu but the engine looks about the same as an older civic engine and i'm wondering if it's possible to mount it into my 1989 civic body. i know some modifications will need to be done and alot of things will need to be changed over. my car is an automatic so i'll need to buy a newer automatic transmission along with axles. is there anybody that has done a civic engine swap or know anything about the major problems i'll run into swapping with such a newer engine? currently the '89 civic has a d15b2 engine. please respond and thanks for your input.
-jeff
besides the fact that the ecu will not function correctly you may want to check wiring circuits before you try this since the ecu controls all functions in the vehicle

i'm beginning to think it's just too complicated. the engines are still built the same it looks like but all the wiring connectors are totally different. i don't think i'd even be able to get the ignition to work without a modification. and i'm not sure the motor mounts would line up so i'd need some kind of custom designed motor mount. they may line up i don't know though. thanks for the help. i may just stay with my old engine.
-jeff

modifications on all sorts of cars, especially people wanting to add or remove turbos on older Volvos. After looking through all that is involved, the best way to do things like that is usually to trade vehicles.
Mike

Jeff, If you are serious about this, I suggest that you visit this website: www.hondatuningmagazine.com Send them an email and ask if they can sell you a back issue where your car is mentioned. They have stories in that magazine on a regular basis related to this subject. You should also visit the nearest city library and see if they keep back issues of Honda Tuning magazine. If it's a long distance from your home--call them and ask them if they subscribe to Honda Tuning magazine.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
hondaman wrote:

you can do it, but the wiring is utterly different. depends how much of a project you want to undertake. i've considered it for my 89, but the thing that's held me back is the speedo - apart from the fact that it's electronic, not mechanical like yours, it doesn't physicaly fit the console. you could have a console made, but unlike most engine swaps, this vital component is /not/ a plug & play swap. back burner.
the only reason i considered it is i can probably get a practically brand new engine with only 3000 miles on it for very cheap but then i'd need everything else and my current engine has a slight tick in it but it still runs strong and doesn't burn or leak anything. my transmission shifts a little rough into 2nd gear after the car is warmed up but that's even starting smooth out. i bought the car from NY and i'm only the 2nd owner but i'm fixing it up a little at a time. it would be great to have that new engine/transmission in my car but like you brought up the speedometer would be a major issue by itself and the engine i was thinking of buying doesn't have much more hp than the older sohc 16 valve engine in my civic. its not even a vtec its one of the ordinary civic dx or lx engines honda still uses. thanks for your help.
jeff

You can swap in a D16Z6 or D16Y8 from and EG/EK chassis.They're both SOHC VTEC motors,or you could do a B series swap using a DOHC VTEC B16 or even B18 from an Integra GSR.And H series is possible but it's alot of work and extra weight.A friend has a 91 Civic hatch with a 2nd gen B17 (170 hp) with Type R cams and it keeps up with S 2000's.There's alot of choices with the EF chassis you have,just depends on how fast you wanna go and how deep your pockets are.Try www.honda-tech.com for more info. Glenn