Civic EX 1998

I bought the civic in December so could not test the AC. During the heat wave that hit NY, it looks it is very weak. Could I test the level of refrigerant? How expensive is to fill it up? What type is it?
Thanks,
James
1998 would be R134A refrigerant. There is a way to test the refrigerant, but it uses special tools, it might be cheaper just to take it to a shop or dealership and have them inspect it. Then you can decide how to proceed.
Another thing to check would include the A/C condensor fan (does it turn on) , and also what condition it is in, since if the fins are bent and air cannot flow properly, it will reduce performance.