Civic Hybrid Mileage

Our Accord hybrid gets about 27 mpg in my wife's mostly stop and a little go commute to work. Since they are not selling well you can get a healthy discount on one. Plus the tax rebate. On a 300M she used to get 20 mpg.

Reply to
Art

That is a pretty good improvement over the stock V-6 Accord. Ours gets around 20 mpg in that sort of driving.

Honda missed the boat on the hybrid Accord. They should have gone more maximum fuel economy by mating it with a small 4 cylinder engine instead of going for very high performance.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I think the real sad part is that now there is prejudice that a performance hybrid is a bad idea. I think a hybrid boost to a Civic Si could be a real improvement - a much better match than the V6.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

What V6?

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

in the Accord

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Ahhh. I read your statement as the V6 in the Si which doesn't have one... ;-)

Really, I like the Si just as it is now. Hybrid doesn't really sound like the way to go. At least not yet.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

It isn't a no brainer, but here is my thinking. The high revving 4 is a great performer, but it could use a little help off the line. The electric motor is strongest at low rpm. the two complement each other. The high performance engine is not as thrifty as the mainstream Honda engines so the gain in mpg might produce greater savings in the Si than in the already efficient Civic and the fuel you save is premium. If you think of it as a performance enhancement that pays for itself, it could be attractive to the enthusiast buyer. It could have even been an Acura version, although Honda has indicated that they don't want to sell to sell Integra-class Acuras anymore. OK, fine

Personally, the Si is the first Honda car that makes me want to swap my '94 GS-R. Maybe in a couple years...

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I love mine, and can see what you're saying, but the launch of the Si is pretty snappy to begin with. 0-60 in 6.7 and a hard time keeping the tires from chirping when entering first and second.

I have been playing with more efficient driving. Shifting at 3000-3500 for most conditions, and I am still finding myself outpacing the cars in front of me, and having to slow down a little... ;-)

It is a great car, IMO. And it gets a lot of looks and comments, too. Had a WWII vet walk up to the car the other day and ask me about the car. Said that it was the first Japanese car he'd ever seen that would make him consider buying it. That's a haughty compliment, coming from a vet of the Japanese theater, and a pretty old guy to boot... ;-)

But I do agree that a high performance hybrid would be nice to see. If I could save fuel AND have the performance, it would be a definite plus.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

The Hybrid Accord is a performance Hybrid. Remember that the electric motor, although only a 15 HP boost over the top of the line V6 standard Accord, gets its max torque at very low RPM, so it smooths the power band. I had a 2003 Civic Hybrid and several co-workers have the Prius. The 2005 Accord Hybrid, as an all around town and trip car, is the better choice for me.

It has much better performance than my old 302 V8 Comet GT with an overall MPG of 31 for both trip and town with 18,000 miles in 1 year of ownership. I love it.

CC..

Reply to
CC