Civic no reverse

Lost reverse on my 1991 dx hatchback auto trans (210,000 miles). When pushing it backwards in R it slammed back in and now when it's gone rocking car in reverse slams it back in gear so far every time?
Trans was over filled so I removed 12/16oz of fluid, and it hasn't been tested other than a drive around the block but seems normal so far.
When "R" is gone it's just like putting the car in neutral, when back it seem as it should? Playing with shift does nothing when it is lost?
Any thoughts on this problem?
Thanks, Jimmy A
On 08/02/2011 11:15 AM, Jimmy Alpha wrote:

is this out of the blue or has work been done on the car? if the latter, check the shift cable adjustment. otherwise, it may have been screwed up by something like jamming it into reverse while still moving forward. if that's the case, best get a jdm replacement for $125.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum