Civic Timing Belt Alignment

I am trying to align my timing belt for a Honda Civic 98 LX SOHC. It is
a 1.6L engine. The manual says to allign the camshaft at TDC with the two markers matching the horizontal line of the cylinder head. I can't
get those markers aligned with the cylinder head because, when aligned horizontally, they are both below the cylinder head line. Also on engine cover (not the upper and lower timing belt covers) there are two small triangle arrows, one left and one right, that are not exactly horizontal (one is higher than the other). If one of the markers on the camshaft matches 1 arrow the other will be a couple of teeth below the arrow on the opposite side. I have read something about the 1.6L engines that need to be adjusted to the plastic bracket on the lower side of the camshaft pulley, the one that emulates the wheel similar to a bicycle fender that protects from mud splashing the rider. Does anyone know which marks I should follow (the horizontal cylinder head line, the 2 arrows
that are a little below the cylinder head line, or the marker at the bottom of the wheel which looks like a bike fender)? Thank You.
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in

Can you at least make sure they're both the SAME AMOUNT below the head surface line? It must be the way you're viewing them, because they ARE in line with the head's top surface. Also, do you have the text that says "UP" pointing...up?

That's the inner timing belt cover.

Line the cam pulley marks to the aluminum surface of the head, not to the plastic cover.
Also make sure the crankshaft pulley is still pointing at the TDC pointer.
And make sure you get the belt tension correct.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–