civic transmission noise

i just got back from helping a friend fix their noisy civic transmission. i gather this is a common failure and we replaced the input bearing accordingly.
upon dissection, i found this:
the spalling is from high load, but i also suspect that the spacing of the spalled regions has its origin in the original assembly of the conrad bearing in the first place. there's nothing like a little assembly brinelling to disrupt smooth rotation and cause high localized loading impulses.
--
fact check required

On 9/3/2012 7:17 PM, jim beam wrote:

Whoa, what kind of loads was that civic handling? Did you replace the bearing with something better than the original?
On 09/03/2012 08:04 PM, cameo wrote:

nothing special, just a stock motor - d15b2.

short of boring out the housing and fitting a bigger one, i'm not sure that's possible. i just replaced it with another honda bearing for ~$20. if it lasts another 200k miles with the wrong transmission oil like the last one, i'll be happy.
--
fact check required

On 9/3/2012 9:17 PM, jim beam wrote:

I believe that this happened to our 97 Civic Ex coupe with 90K miles on it. One Honda dealer rebuild for $2200 and the noise went away.
Lynn
On 09/03/2012 10:27 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

hey, for $2200, i'll rebuild your next one. and shine your hubcaps. and deliver with a full tank of gas.
--
fact check required

And a tray of fresh sushi?
J.
On 09/04/2012 07:46 PM, JRStern wrote:

that would be a different kind of bearing job.
--
fact check required

and then go off for a month in Hawaii, after sending in the check for your Roth IRA.