Civic window replacement help needed

I've been searching all around the 'net for instructions on replacing a driver side 'rear quarter window' on a '97 Civic Ex (2 door sedan). Not much luck there.

I can probably get an OEM window from ebay or a few lower priced honda parts dealers, but I'm not sure if I'll need a new seal or spacers or anything else, like urethane sealant or sealing tape..? Or special tools?

I don't like the idea of having a 1 foot by 2 foot piece of glass replaced for no less than $260.00, and so I'd like to know if anyone here has any experience or tips that might help me to make this a 'do-it-myself' job? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Marco

Reply to
Marco

I got a similar glass for my son's '90 Accord two door at the junk yard and did it myself. Maybe a nice glass shop can help you figure it out, and find the window for you. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Why don't you look in the yellow pages for Auto Glass shops. They will give you a free estimates. My experience is that it was not as expensive as I would have thought. I have installed glass and would not do it again......too much work for too little savings. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie S

Actually, that's what I did (yellow pages) before posting here.

I called Safelite and a few others, and the lowest replacement price was $260.00. [I once bought a whole car for less :) ]

I found a few used OEM windows for around $70.00, and a few new OEM windows for around $170.00.

So I was thinking I could save myself around $200.00 doing it myself with a used window. Well, that, minus any other materials I'd probably need. I just need to know the proper way of doing it.

Marco

Reply to
Marco