Civis Si sedan

I will swear that some car magazine said Honda was using this on their mainline engines at some point around ten years ago. Maybe it came and went.

But Googling around ... seems to show you are correct about now.

Well hey, maybe I misunderstood whatever back when. Glad to hear it, actually, never did think anyone had the technology to do without it and deliver real realiability.

So, well, thanks!

J.

Reply to
JXStern

jim beam wrote in news:gMednWkoZMiPv_zYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Replaced with new OEM. No change.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

JXStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No. Mine has iron cylinders cast into an aluminum jacket.

When the head came off for a gasket change a few years ago, you could still see crosshatching in the bores. It's the rings.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

jim beam wrote in news:EbSdnUsaleXWH__YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Also Chevy Vega. Remember? Major disaster for GM.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:9rCdnct8GbrqWP_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Not nitrided, but dotted with silicon nodules.

Those nodules didn't nodulate quite as well as GM had expected, so the Vega's all-aluminum marvel went into the dustbin of history, as somebody famous once put it.

Which is why it was eventually replaced by the '62 Nova's "Iron Duke" cast-iron 4.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

jim beam wrote in news:lsydnVX-dbWdvP7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Whoa yeah. It's thin indeed, about 1/8". And I thought the Toyota 4A was bad with a quarter-inch around the fire-ring.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I believe Rover had fielded aluminum-block engines a few years earlier

- and had also failed. Don't know if they had liners, I guess not. Not sure how long Alfa was shipping aluminum blocks with iron liners, starting around 1958, I think.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

JXStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not to my knowledge. The only aluminum Rover engine up to the Vega's time was the 3500 V8. That one was Buick's old 215, which had iron liners.

Lots of makers used aluminum blocks with iron liners. Very few tried bare aluminum. I do believe Porsche was one of those, with their 928 engine.

Reply to
Tegger

car mags publish crap, with a lot of the import scare stories being "inspired" by detroit in an effort to keep the home fires burning. kinda scary actually. kinda ironic too seeing as nowadays, detroit's falling over itself to source so much of its componentry from china.

there's other solutions out there including hard chrome lined aluminum [used in some types of applications like powered hang gliders iirc], but at the end of the day, it all comes down to durability for the application - and price. right now, iron alloy liners are king and are likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

Reply to
jim beam

how thick does it need to be? the biggest load a liner experiences is thermal. aluminum is a better conductor than iron, so thinner is better and let the aluminum do the work.

Reply to
jim beam