clean fuel injectors

Have my 2004 Accord EX 4i in for a 40k mile service, dealer calls and says there's a little buildup on the injectors, do I want to spend $160 to get the injector flush?

(hey, they sell this car on a 100k mile "no tuneup" policy)

I usually let the dealer screw me around for modest stuff, but is this reasonable or competely bogus? I know I asked online a couple of years ago when my Acura dealer tried to sell me that flush on every service, sight-unseen, and the consensus seemed to be it might make sense around 80k to 100k miles, but not sooner.

Anyway, those friggin' tiny back brakes were down below 2mm so I told them to go ahead on those, so I wasn't in the mood for more BS.

Any advice on that injector flush?

FWIW, I use almost exclusively Chevron gas.

Thanks.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

This injector flush is absolutely not something a consensus here believes is worth the money.

What a lot of folks here do urge is putting a bottle of Chevron Techron (around $7 at Wal-Mart) fuel system cleaner into a near empty fuel tank, filling up, and then having the oil changed in about two weeks.

40k miles is not bad for OEM brake pads. That's about how long my first ones lasted on my 91 Civic.

"JXStern" wrote

Reply to
Elle

That's interesting. My dealer here says that they very rarely do anything to the injectors, unless there is something that points toward the injectors having a problem.

Reply to
Brian Smith

On the same topic of 'salesmanship', some dentists haven't been trained to do that 'talking out loud' thing that makes the patient (read: victim) believe that their mouth will rot if they don't get a bunch of extra work done RIGHT AWAY.

It's marketing, just like selling car owners undercoating and paint protection schemes and window etching and Scotchguard etc, etc . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Reply to
Howard H

Go to Costco and get a Whole box of the good Chevron cleaner.

Sounds like the dealer is boosting their monthly sales to me. I have had somewhere around 14 Hondas now, and I get close to 200k on some of them and NOT ONCE has any of them ever needed to have the injectors cleaned.

I wouldn't trust that dealer any more.

Hey, now that I think of it, how the hell do they know there is a buildup? Why did they take them out ????????

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

True. But then it depends on who at the dealership you speak to about the topic. Over the years the Shop Foreman and I have become very good friends. As such, we look out for each other's best interest in whatever the concern happens to be.

Reply to
Brian Smith

JXStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No there is not.

Pass on it.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The injector flush is very effective at transferring money from your pocket to theirs. You can do just as good a job with the stuff you pour in the tank (lots of people perfer Techron, but I've had good results with the cheaper Pyroil). Since you have been running Chevron I think even that is overkill; I used to use a tank of Chevron or Texaco instead of injector cleaner when my old Nissan was getting balky. The effect was pretty much the same. The dealer is being completely bogus in this case.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks all.

I did pass on it.

Well, it's the *second* time for the rear brakes. The fronts are still OK at 40k, go figure. I've seen the discussion here that this model Honda has these tiny pads in the rear that do go out too quickly. Could probably go another 5k on the rear pads, extrapolating, but like I said, I let the dealer lead me on this one.

Which is not to say that I trust them - I don't, they're known somewhat sleazy in sales and service, but they're a big dealer and the next nearest one is a lot less convenient.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

You didn't tell us __it's the *second* time__.

I was going to suggest you've got a stuck slider. It seems to be common on Hondas, even from NEW.

You need a brake job from SOMEBODY WHO CARES, who will slip them all apart and lube everything with the correct grease, since you'll just have to do it prematurely again, or worse, you'll shred one side of your rotor before the wear indicator starts screaming.

Look at the valuable resources at

for more about Honda brake jobs.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

It's another Honda ripoff scheme. I've had my car for 14 years now, it's got

136,000 miles, and I've never cleaned the fuel injectors and never had any problems. You're being lied to by Honda.
Reply to
Spaz

136,000 miles, and

being lied to by Honda.

------------------------------------

Spaz, That's not a (true) logical statement.

The Original Poster is being lied to by a _ Honda Dealership _ that is trying to make extra money off him by selling him something he probably doesn't need. Honda didn't tell the franchisee to sell that 'service' to the OP..

You're painting with a very wide brush.

We read your posts.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Not a ripoff by Honda but by the individual dealer. Honda policy is against most flush type services and has issued warnings up to and including franchise removal to repetitive and flagrant ignoring of their warning.

Reply to
Howard H