Clear Check Engine Light

I lost the gas cap to our Civic and took me a few days to get a new one. Check engine light came on. Took it to AuoZone today to see what it was and have it cleared. Two stores and they couldn't do it.

Can I clear the code some way myself?

Thanks Charles

Reply to
wdeagle1

If the light is on because of the gas cap...

A) It will clear itself after a few trips

B) a code reader to clear it.

This assumes you replaced the cap with a proper cap that seals correctly and you are talking about an ODB-II car. You don't list the year of the car, but then again I don't know if the OBD-I cars would light the check engine light for a gas cap issue.

Reply to
Seth

Reply to
wdeagle1

"Seth" wrote in news:G0gqh.41$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.lga:

Pre-'96 cars will not illuminate the MIL for a missing gas cap. Pre-OBDII cars do not have sealed EVAP systems.

It would be very wise of the OP to tell us exactly what the code was.

Reply to
Tegger

The Code reader is a good investment, doesn't have to be a top of the line model! Best $90 bucks I've invested, since dealers around here charge about $50 just to hook one up and read the codes.... that's before doing any work on it! Checking the codes will also make sure you aren't having other problems.

Reply to
COH

I don't believe it is the duration of the driving - but the cycling of starting and stopping the engine several times. That's how I cleared the code on a previous car of mine in the same situation. It basically went away after a couple of days of my normal driving around town, couple trips a day.

Dan D '07 Ody EX

Reply to
Dano58