Clear Check Engine Light

I lost the gas cap to our Civic and took me a few days to get a new one. Check engine light came on. Took it to AuoZone today to see what it was and have it cleared. Two stores and they couldn't do it.
Can I clear the code some way myself?
Thanks Charles

If the light is on because of the gas cap...
A) It will clear itself after a few trips
B) a code reader to clear it.
This assumes you replaced the cap with a proper cap that seals correctly and you are talking about an ODB-II car. You don't list the year of the car, but then again I don't know if the OBD-I cars would light the check engine light for a gas cap issue.
It's a 2000 Civic DX. Got the correct cap; it's been on for a few days. One trip 80 miles each way. Looks like the reader.
Charles Seth wrote:

wdeagle1 wrote:

I don't believe it is the duration of the driving - but the cycling of starting and stopping the engine several times. That's how I cleared the code on a previous car of mine in the same situation. It basically went away after a couple of days of my normal driving around town, couple trips a day.
Dan D '07 Ody EX

Pre-'96 cars will not illuminate the MIL for a missing gas cap. Pre-OBDII cars do not have sealed EVAP systems.
It would be very wise of the OP to tell us exactly what the code was.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

The Code reader is a good investment, doesn't have to be a top of the line model! Best $90 bucks I've invested, since dealers around here charge about $50 just to hook one up and read the codes.... that's before doing any work on it! Checking the codes will also make sure you aren't having other problems.