clicking sound coming from front end

I have a 99 civic si w/ 48,000 miles.. just recently within the past 2 months there has been a clicking sound coming from the wheel area.. i know the CV joint.. barely spin w/ this car.
it happens when i downshift also.. no matter how fast or slow i am going. even just going from forward to backing up, it makes this sound.. it's not very loud.. but it does bother me.. any ideas???
some kind of foreign article in the wheel? tree branch or gravel in the brakes?
Check to make sure that the CV boots are OK, if one split, then it takes no time for the joint to fail.

A couple possibilities - CV joints (torn boots are always the first thought for clicking from the front) and a clunking brake caliper. The first is checked by visual inspection. If you look under the car and see big splashes of black grease around the backside area of either front wheel and a tear in the bellows around the axle there, look no further! The second is easily diagnosed by listening to the sound and gently applying the brakes. If the sound goes away, it is the caliper making the noise.
The CV joint/boot has to be fixed - the sooner the better, but don't let it go many months or the joint can come apart and leave you stranded - while caliper noise is just an annoyance.
Mike
thank you.. the cv joints have no tears or anything wrong w/ them.. must just be an annoying caliper.. any reasons for this happening.. it happened on my 92 civic.. it started happening at 150,000 it has 158,000 miles on it now.. my girlfriend's 93 w/ 187k doesn't make a sound.. could be one of those unexplainable things that happen.. oh well. thanks for all of your input..