clutch pedal will not return to normal position

i understand this is a hydralic system and i'm pretty sure i need a master cylinder/ i guess i'm just looking for basic certification of what i believe to be the problem. could someone give me insight.

Thanks

Reply to
tacinar2001

I'm not familiar with the 2001, but I think you're right - hydraulic (it would be a weird symptom for a cable anyway).

Assuming the reservoir isn't empty and the clutch pedal hasn't been pushed at any time when the reservoir was empty, the answer is yes... you need a clutch cylinder. It's pretty much a toss-up whether the master or slave is at fault right now, but in my experience when one goes out the other is soon to follow. I recommend replacing the pair. If you are a little short of cash now (and doing it yourself so the overlapping labor isn't an issue) you can identify the failed cylinder and hold off a bit on the other. The slave is easiest to check: if there is fluid leakage it is bad. Leakage from the master usually isn't obvious until the cylinder is unmounted.

BTW - as you might suspect, the DIY job is roughly the same as brake cylinders with less to bleed. The slave cylinder is easier than the master except the hardware is often amazingly tight.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

master is more likely if the pedal's not returning. probably the internal spring. but you're right, check both. check the clutch pedal mechanism too - could be an old quarter pounder with cheese stuck in there.

Reply to
jim beam

Eeww!

Mike