Clutch slipping - looking for reputable shop in Richmond, VA

My '97 Civic Ex is experiencing clutch slippage so I'm looking for a reputable shop to do the repair work.

Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond, VA?

I've been told that some "bearings" and the "clutch plate" needs replacing. I've taken it to a couple of places and they've told me that it will take a day or two (8-10 hrs) for about a $1,000.

Is this reasonable?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Pat

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

Why not tell us the history, the mileage, and what's been tried? (like the 5 W's)

Maybe you don't need a shop at all?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

The car has 123K miles. When doing a semi-hard acceleration, the engines RPMs increase, but the car doesn't goes faster. After a few secounds it slowly start accelerating. You can "feel" the clutch slip.

Are you familiar with any shops in Richmond?

Thanks,

- Pat

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

"Pat Dreiding" wrote in news:o7Y%f.384 $V73.172@trnddc06:

secounds it

Are you revving it too hard before the clutch has fully engaged? In my experience OEM Honda clutches slip badly and aren't for racing. When they heat up they'll slip even more. I once took my Civic on a 3 hour drive to Virginia Beach beatin the shit out of it the whole way, and when I finally got there my car just stopped going even though I was stepping on the gas because the clutch was slipping 100%. Had to roll it off the interstate and then wait about 10 minutes for the clutch disc to cool off before I could move again. I could smell it burning (clutch material smells kinda like burning hair, but worse). Got it switched to a performance clutch and flywheel and I can do some serious clutch popping and hard launches with no problems.

If you go for a hard launch (or any kind of launch) and you feel the clutch slipping let off of it right away (don't rev it harder). Chances are it will get progressively worse. Take it easy on your clutch for a while.

Reply to
Crystal

In years gone by 'woman owned and driven' meant that you were looking at a car that wasn't abused. That phrase hasn't meant that for quite awhile. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:xl20g.29268$4S.11675@edtnps82:

worse).

looking

quite

Driving slow makes me nervous unless I have a good stereo system to mellow me out.

Reply to
Crystal

That price sounds pretty high. I recommend you shop around some more - it will probably save you a few hundred dollars. There aren't many corners to cut that would lower the price, but some independent shops charge what they figure they can do it for rather than the "book" rate.

A clutch job involves removing the transmission and replacing the clutch disk, the pressure plate that clamps the disk to the flywheel when the clutch pedal isn't depressed, the throwout bearing that lets the pressure plate turn while the fork (operated by the pedal) doesn't turn, and the pilot bearing in the flywheel that supports the end of the gearbox input shaft. The flywheel surface is lathed to make it flat again.

We did the clutch in my son's Integra a couple months ago. The aftermarket parts were about $250 and the job was an all day affair for us amateurs, with the usual struggle to get the gearbox in place afterward. (I strained a muscle in my jaw from clenching my face - it hurt for three days!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I appreciate everyone's inputs. The car is a 97' Civic EX with 123K miles.

The questions I need answered are:

  1. Does anyone has a suggestion for reputable repair shop in Richmond, VA?

  1. Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond, VA?

  2. Is ,000 a reasonable charge for Clutch plate and Bearing replacement?

Thanks again,

- Pat

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

"Pat Dreiding" wrote in news:Kaa0g.8717$MU4.2285@trnddc03:

$1000 is a bit much. I got a brand new lightweight flywheel, performance clutch disc, plate, plus bearings for about 400, and then installed a little less than 400. If he's getting you an OEM clutch plate and bearing, that's a lot of excess he's charging for labor. Albeit he's probably going on his pre-calculated "hours" to do the job, charging you $60 or more per hour. You'd have better luck driving to Barboursville and visiting High Speed Auto. Ask for Rick. It's a little less than 2 hours from Richmond. If you want directions let me know.

Reply to
Crystal

"Pat Dreiding" wrote in news:Kaa0g.8717$MU4.2285@trnddc03:

The only thing I can comment on is the cost. One thousand bucks is way, WAY too much.

Do you have a breakdown of the quote? If so, could you post it here, line by line?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

To make the roads safer, perhaps you shouldn't be placed in a position of having care and control of a vehicle then. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:OBq0g.55250$K11.8488@clgrps12:

400k+ driving experience, 90% of it over the speed limit, never even came close to an accident. 2 reckless tickets and 2 equipment violations though. Not too happy about those.
Reply to
Crystal

I rest my case. You don't belong on the road.

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:lqA0g.8134$Vg.738@edtnps90:

I won't argue with you. Too bad you can't do anything about it, aye? :) I rest my case.

Reply to
Crystal

On 4/16/2006 6:28 PM Brian Smith spake these words of knowledge:

I'd just like to say, "Fuck you, son; get the stick out of your ass." Isn't usenet great? You get to be a self-righteous ignorant prig and I get to be a vulgar bastard. Ahh.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Ah, there is where you are wrong. Here one can take note of the time, location antics of a driver, licence plate and lay a complaint with the police. They will then locate the driver and lay charges, for what was observed and reported. So pay attention to the job at hand when you're operating a vehicle, the same ability might be available to your neighbours.

Reply to
Brian Smith

As a professional driver with many miles under my wheels without an incident of any kind. I have to say that I have seen a lot of stupidity by small vehicle drivers that have caused a lot of death and destruction, just because they were operating without due care and control of their charges. What you have to say, doesn't amount to a very high pile of crap at all. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:v8J0g.16801$Zl.16024@edtnps89:

Like I said, too bad you can't do anything about it, aye?

Reply to
Crystal

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:cbJ0g.16834$Zl.4540@edtnps89:

Professional driver. That's funny shit man.

Reply to
Crystal

Okay... so we have a contributor who says he is a professional driver (a credible claim - there is nothing rare about that) and another who admits to speeding as a regular exercise, thinks 400K is a long driving record and replies "Professional driver. That's funny shit man." Who is the more credible?

I'm not a pro driver (although I have recently been putting 1000 hwy miles a week on my company truck... northern Arizona is a pretty large service area), but I certainly passed the million mile mark some time ago. Long before that I decided speeding is a fool's game; increased risk of unspeakable horror without tangible gain is not smart.

Every experienced driver has known at least one time he or she wished with all of his or her heart to be going slower or that the brakes would stop quicker. Why on earth would somebody deliberately throw away the opportunity to make that come true?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee