Clutch slipping - looking for reputable shop in Richmond, VA

Page 2 of 2

$1000 is a bit much. I got a brand new lightweight flywheel, performance clutch disc, plate, plus bearings for about 400, and then installed a little less than 400. If he's getting you an OEM clutch plate and bearing, that's a lot of excess he's charging for labor. Albeit he's probably going on his pre-calculated "hours" to do the job, charging you $60 or more per hour. You'd have better luck driving to Barboursville and visiting High Speed Auto. Ask for Rick. It's a little less than 2 hours from Richmond. If you want directions let me know.
Add pictures here
âś–

The only thing I can comment on is the cost. One thousand bucks is way, WAY too much.
Do you have a breakdown of the quote? If so, could you post it here, line by line?
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

That price sounds pretty high. I recommend you shop around some more - it will probably save you a few hundred dollars. There aren't many corners to cut that would lower the price, but some independent shops charge what they figure they can do it for rather than the "book" rate.
A clutch job involves removing the transmission and replacing the clutch disk, the pressure plate that clamps the disk to the flywheel when the clutch pedal isn't depressed, the throwout bearing that lets the pressure plate turn while the fork (operated by the pedal) doesn't turn, and the pilot bearing in the flywheel that supports the end of the gearbox input shaft. The flywheel surface is lathed to make it flat again.
We did the clutch in my son's Integra a couple months ago. The aftermarket parts were about $250 and the job was an all day affair for us amateurs, with the usual struggle to get the gearbox in place afterward. (I strained a muscle in my jaw from clenching my face - it hurt for three days!)
Mike
Add pictures here
âś–