Code P1457 on 99 civic

Hi all,

Posted about my sisters 99 civic EX (canadian) non-vtec. Her timing belt broke, and we went through the whole process of repairing the damage caused by that. Replaced all valves on cylinder 3.

The car has been running well for the past 3 weeks, and suddenly the CEL came on. I have a code reader, it said P1457, Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (EVAP Control Canister Area)

So the first thing I said was to ensure the fuel cap was fastened properly.

3 clicks.

It came back on a couple days later, same code. I have now suggested replacing the fuel cap with a Honda OEM replacement.

My question: Bro-in-law mentioned the light came on upon hard acceleration at high rpm. Any other common problems that could be causing this code to be thrown?

thanks Terry in Winnipeg.

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

Check for any cracks in tank filler neck, check for any cracks in evap system hoses. The code means it is loosing vac/pressure in the tank/evap system.

Reply to
Woody

I'm sure that was a coincidence. As Woody says, it is pretty specific for a leak in the vapor side of the fuel system. The evap system codes take a while to "ripen" and it just decided to wake up the driver at that time :-)

I've had to track a couple leaks down in my '85 Volvo when it failed inspection. Both times it was cracks in vapor return lines where they mated with the tank or other fittings. To hunt them down, I connected a valve stem from an old bicycle tube to a rubber hose in the system and inflated the whole thing with a dozen or so pumps with a bicycle pump. The leak hissed pretty loudly each time, and I could feel the pressure wasn't holding. I located the hisses and the pump felt different when they were fixed. When I thought I had it fixed I let the system sit pressurized for a half hour (or until I got impatient) and opened the gas cap. The puff of noxious fumes let me know I was a winner :-}

In your case, since the work was done under the hood a visual inspection of the vapor hoses around the charcoal canister would be a good place to start. I also like the OEM gas cap replacement... even if it isn't the exact cause of the light, replacing the cap rules out that common source of trouble and wards off that evil spirit in the future. I'm a big fan of warding off evil spirits!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for the info.

I think the problem is that its a recurring problem from before their problems with the t-belt. The CEL had been on for about a year, but he never bothered to get it checked out. I didn't get my code reader until this christmas, so he was SOL since he was too cheap/lazy to do it himself.

Its the only honda I have ever been this frustrated with! They don't take care of it though, i guess it goes to show you need to maintain your vehicle! not just put gas in and go!

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com