cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it started when it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once its running its great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the engine. Have
taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two spark plugs because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the battery, which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over (sometimes 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i turn the key and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition components are original along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i heard this is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the engine sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up. Any help?
meciboy wrote:

2. discover the importance of injector cleaner. 3. look into the famous honda ignition switch problem if not that, check the chassis earth connections..
i think you have two problems - flooding from leaky injectors causes starting problems if left overnight. read the owners manual on how to start a flooded engine. [and don't buy cheap gas and use injector cleaner regularly.] also, the ignition switch electrics can be unreliable. the switch is easy enough to replace. check the earth connections first though.
definitely find a new mechanic. independent honda trained people exist and are not too expensive - you just need to find one.

Yes i can help. Let me start by saying replacing two spark plugs is the cheapest dumbest idea I HAVE EVER HEARD! FIRE YOUR MECHANIC! If you have a 95 with original ignition components you really need to start there. Cap, rotor, wires, and plugs should be your first step. Make sure they are factory and if you really can't afford it, do not buy platnum or double tip or what ever else the asshole behind the counter at autozone trys to sell you. Pre-gapped NGK plugs are what the factory uses. Get the same. I had recently bought the same car and when it is wet it didn't run right and it would barely start. I replaced the ignition components and have not had a problem sence.
Thanks for the info. did have the starter replaced because it was free under warranty. That ignition problem hasnt happened again. I am going towards the fuel injector route now, im going to run some expensive injector cleaner with higher octane gas next fill-up and see if i notice any difference. Dont know if i want to go as far as cleaning them off the engine. Thanks for the advice.
"jim beam" wrote: > meciboy wrote: > > Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it > started when > > it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once it�s > running its > > great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the > engine. Have > > taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two > spark plugs > > because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the > battery, > > which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over > (sometimes > > 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i > turn the key > > and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition > components > > are original along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i > heard this > > is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the > engine > > sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up. Any help? > > > 1. find a new mechanic that knows what they're doing. > 2. discover the importance of injector cleaner. > 3. look into the famous honda ignition switch problem if not > that, > check the chassis earth connections.. > > i think you have two problems - flooding from leaky injectors > causes > starting problems if left overnight. read the owners manual > on how to > start a flooded engine. [and don't buy cheap gas and use > injector > cleaner regularly.] also, the ignition switch electrics can > be > unreliable. the switch is easy enough to replace. check the > earth > connections first though. > > definitely find a new mechanic. independent honda trained > people exist > and are not too expensive - you just need to find one.

There's likely your problem. The wires are too old.
HT current is leaking off or shorting through the plug boot before it gets to jump the plug gap.
Replace the wires with new OEM, not aftermarket. Bet the problem goes away.

It's "missing" until warmup? Dead giveaway. It IS missing...because of ancient wires.
You can use injector cleaner if you like, but it will neither hurt nor help in this case.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Did replace the wires but they were generic and didnt fit right-i took them back, i know i should always stay with OEM for Hondas. Going to go with injector cleaner first before i start replacing anything, the mechanic says Honda wires should be good for life? Im not so sure. Thanks for the advice
"Tegger" wrote:
wrote in > > > Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it > started when > > it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once its > running its > > great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the > engine. Have > > taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two > spark plugs > > because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the > battery, > > which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over > (sometimes > > 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i > turn the key > > and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition > components > > are original > > > > > There's likely your problem. The wires are too old. > > HT current is leaking off or shorting through the plug boot > before it gets > to jump the plug gap. > > Replace the wires with new OEM, not aftermarket. Bet the > problem goes away. > > > > > along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i heard this > > is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the > engine > > sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up. > > > > It's "missing" until warmup? Dead giveaway. It IS > missing...because of > ancient wires. > > You can use injector cleaner if you like, but it will neither > hurt nor help > in this case. > > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Absolutely not. The wires are good for maybe seven years. After that the insulation begins to break down, allowing moisture to wick current away from the core.
You NEED to replace the entire high-tension side. That means wires, plugs, cap and rotor. Failure to do this will result in worsening starting problems and eventual coil/igniter failure.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

i haven't always enjoyed the greatest results with honda oem wires. while they are definitely better than cheapo generic garbage from the local parts store, they're not the best.
among alternatives: 1. ngk standard core are good quality leads, widely available and competitively priced. easily as good as oem.
2. ngk coiled core are absolutely excellent - coiled core is the best kind of lead to use. they definitely make the car run better at low rpm's, starting is quicker and most importantly, they get rid of electrical noise throughout the system.
3. even better than that are are magnecor leads. but they're not as straight forward to use as the leads are thicker than oem. and the connectors look a little funky, if you care about such things.
Great advice, youre right, the mechanic did say he sprayed water on the engine and it ran bad until it dried off, this makes sense that the wires are worn. Will replace wires , cap, and rotor. Thanks