Computer chip ??? 90 Accord... starting and speedometer probs

I am curious what problems would show for a computer chip needing to be changed ... Would a 90 Accord ever need this? 263,000kms and well taken care of. I was having problems starting my car, but only intermittently. When it wouldn't start, it would turn but not start. It would eventually "catch" and start, sometimes I'd have to sit there 20 minutes trying over and over again until it started. This happenned more often after short drives than longer ones. I finally had it assessed and they replaced both the battery and starter. About a month later, not even 700km later, the problem happenned again and has a couple times since. A guy I know who's hobby is mechanical work, but he's not educated or employed in this area, shared that he thought it could be the computer chip bc of the inconsistency and the fact that it was turning but not starting... Arhhh! I'm tired of paying for work that doens't fix the problem. In the last 30,000 km the distributor and coil were replaced, alternator, slave cylinder, timing belt and now starter and battery. It drives beautifully, sounds terrific, has all it's power... What could it be? Oh, another weird phenominon is that the stereo goes on and off. And... just this week I was driving it and the check engine light came on and the speedometer stopped working, but then started working again. The check engine light stayed on until I turned the car off. When I turned it back on, all was fine again. Still, my car is driving beautifully, sounds terrific, has all it's power... Then yesterday the check engine light came on again and speedometer stopped. Please help. I'd like to get this car back in great condition but without spending too much more money, since I just spent several hundreds "fixing" what seems to be the non-problem (starter and battery). I REALLY appreciate any insight or help you can give!!!!

Reply to
Mechanic's dream ;)

The computer is the least likely cause (unless the vehicle has been in deep water before this began; the ECU is on the floorboard.) My first thought is the "main relay" - the fuel pump relay - which has a very long history of symptoms like that. See TeGGeR's FAQs at

for the details and other ideas.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

This part sounds like a different problem from the starting and running problem, and has all the signs of a bad ground. The easiest to see is the engine ground, which passes from the front of the valve cover over the radiator to the chassis, but I'm thinking more of grounds under the dash. Hope others can give you more details.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee