Console fried on 2004 Accord

Friend bought an Accord Ex 2004 when it was a year old, and last week, just when it turned 36k, the console goes out, est. replacement cost $1,000. What are the odds of that?
Actually, Honda is fixing it under warranty as a courtesy, I have heard of similar Honda flexibility before (and it's another reason to buy Honda!).
Just wondering, why would a console go out anyway, and how often does that happen?
Thx
J.

Honda is very, very good about that. It helps to have a good relationship with the dealer, or at least an appreciative attitude. Frankly, the first line of defense is the dealer service manager; if he likes you, he can choose to use his goodwill money on you. He can also choose not to.
JXStern wrote:

A few people in these Honda newsgroups have had their units replaced for free or for only the cost of labour. The problem is not rare.
I don't know why they are failing, but my first guess is faulty electronics.

maintenance reset by the speedometer.