cooling fan

Page 2 of 3
Tegger wrote:

It has been suggested to me here, by different people, that having the fan run after engine shutdown is both helpful and useless.
Since most cars do not do this, it is obviously not a big deal either way. If it were, modifying the car to run the fan after shutdown would be a common modification.
In any case, I will leave it alone on both the Honda and the turbo Mazda.
Thanks!
On 03/05/10 10:36, pws wrote:

Huh? AFAIK, the cooling fan has only one function - cooling. That's why it continues after you've shut the engine off, more cooling.
Tony Harding wrote:

Yeah, I know that the cooling fan is for cooling. I was not asking what a cooling fan does.
My question, specifically, was why all cars with electric fans do not do this, if it is indeed helpful to have additional cooling after the car has been turned off.
Beam already answered my question with what I had suspected was the correct answer.
"because it's not necessary. it also depends on the coolant flow design. if you notice, the radiator coolant flow on a honda is still top-to-bottom. this gives a component of thermosiphon just like tegger says. no need for a fan after shutdown."

All Hondas have top/bottom rad tanks. All Hondas do not have after-shutdown fan cooling; it seems to be installed only on Accords/Preludes
After-shutdown fan operation may be due to larger engines having more massive blocks that retain heat better, and need more help shedding post- shotdown heat-soak than Hondas with less-massive blocks. This is a guess on my part.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

One day, I swear, I will learn to type.
Of course, this should read, "post-SHUTdown"...
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 03/15/10 20:50, Tegger wrote:

Funny, I read what you meant. :)
Tegger wrote:

I don't remember the S2000 having after-shutdown fan cooling, and it has the same size engine as the 1995 Accord.
The newer Accords do not do this either. My best guess is that there were enough customer complaints and that was weighed against no real benefit so the decision was made to drop the after-shutdown fan operation.
I might disable this on my 1995 Accord after all. If there are any problems resulting from doing this, I will post them here.
Tegger wrote:

All my Hondas have cross flow radiators, (pre plastic era).
JT

So they have a tank on the left and a tank on the right, like my daddy's 1970 Ford?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Yep... The first cross flow I remember was on my old 1963 Avanti.
JT

Well, by 1986 they were top/bottom across-the-board.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 03/15/10 09:19, pws wrote:

Other possibilities exist, of course, e.g., crummy design, company too cheap to implement something like this, even if it's indicated, etc.
Sorry if I came across a little snarky, not intended. :)
Tony Harding wrote:

Same here, my text often comes across wrong. No offense taken at all.
Thanks,
Pat
On 03/16/2010 11:20 AM, Tony Harding wrote:

cooling is one thing honda have dead right. if you look, they have a very sophisticated system - the thermostat is on the "cool" side of the radiator, but the thermostat wax unit sits in its own direct circuit so it's responding to actual circulation temps, not blocked convection temps like so many other cars.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

I did not know this. Thanks for the information. I know a lot about most things Mazda Miata/MX-5, but my Honda information is very spotty so I have a lot to learn.

I'm not so sure of that.
The Honda rad-fan system has the fan OFF unless everything is absolutely correct. This means that the slightest thing that goes wrong results in an inop fan, and overheating is the consequence.
Toyota has a better system: the slightest thing that goes wrong has the rad-fan ON all the time. Impossible to overheat on account of an inop rad fan.

All North-American-market cars since about 1990 have the system you describe. Hot-side thermostats went out with carburetors.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

the first thing the owher should do it acquire a service manual specific to his model. Even if it's just a crummy Haynes manual,it will be of great help to him.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

first,top posting destoys the thread continuity;that is why Usenet convention is to post at the bottom,the way people normally read.
second,if you wife has noticed the temp gauge changing as she drives the car(temp rises at stops,drops when driving),you probably need a new thermostat.
Use a -real-,OEM Honda TS,the aftermarket ones may not fail in the 'open' position and cause real damage to your engine,and the selection chart may steer you to the wrong TS temp rating for your engine.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's about normal behavior.

The gauge is actually usually pretty accurate.
I think you've got nothing to worry about. Enjoy your Honda.