Corolla v Civic v Hyundai/Nissan moeds

Page 2 of 6

Mental Health Care professionals call this "a statement posed as a question". What he meant to say was, "You, Sir, are completely delusional!" to which I am able to respond. This "question" is meant to confound. Emotionally challenged people pose their statements as questions in order to provide themselves "cover" from more intelligent, more aggressive or perhaps more nearly sane people. This is passive/aggressive behavior. I believe the most energy we need to expend as a species is the novel, creative human energy it will take to make our planet a garden instead of a garbage dump. I believe all humans are served poorly by their "leaders". I also believe that each person awakens each day with the intention of making their lives, and their children's lives, as prosperous, comfortable and happy as their circumstances allow. We'll be OK unless the nukes fly. Then it'll be 'They are on their way in and no one can bring them back. For the sake of our country and our way of life, I suggest you get the rest of SAC in after them. Otherwise, we will be totally destroyed by Red retaliation. My boys will give you the best kind of start, 1400 megatons worth, and you sure as hell won't stop them now. So let's get going. There's no other choice. God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.' Then he hung up. :)

Does that mean the Corolla or the Civic?

Civic

I doubt it's engine would have enough torque for less revs at 80 mph. That's not a legal speed anyway.

That depends on where you are. There are a few states with speed limits of 75, which means 80 would be a pretty normal speed. In some parts of Texas, the posted limit is 80.
I'd agree, though, that the engine would be able to provide enough torque to keep the car going 80 @ 2000 RPM. Just not a big enough engine.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Really? Have you priced out a fuel cell lately? And where do you buy hydrogen? Or for that matter, a car that burns hydrogen? Of course you can modify a piston engine to burn hydrogen, but I don't think you will get a cost advantage and it certainly won't be convenient.
The Honda and Toyota hybrids have been on the road long enough to prove the doomsayers wrong. Hybrid batteries are very reliable and it appears that they could easily last the life of the car in many or most cases. The batteries and other hybrid components have an 8 to 10 year warranty so they are all likely to last the life of the car for most owners. AFAIK, the warranty is not pro-rated.

Yes, those batteries are expensive as well as being dangerous in an accident.

In spite of the weight hybrids do very well. There are many reasons for this, and some of the technology can be applied to mild hybrids to get much of the fuel savings, without having a huge battery.

I live 1km from Ballard, a fuel cell developer. A few years ago a tanker delivering H to their plant developed a leak and fire at the hose fitting. The area 0.5km around was shut down for 12+ hrs until it burned off. Fuel cells need much further development and then there is the high cost, plus a required refueling network for this dangerous fuel.
IMO the new diesels, developed in Germany will be the next fuel saving hot vehicle. Over 50% of people in Europe are now buying them. The 2L VW diesel performs very well in the small mid size cars.

I would have agreed with you in the past, but diesel is selling for $1 a gallon more than regular right now. At current prices, a gas engine at 40 mpg costs the same in fuel per mile as a diesel at 50 mpg. I don't know if it has changed in Europe, but gas and diesel were just pennies apart per liter last year, diesel was 1.16 Euro gas was 1.22 per liter.
Fuel oil cost was exactly the same as diesel too. In milder climates it is not uncommon for homeowners to buy 5 or 10 gallons at a time at the filling station as needed.

I agree with you that if diesel is selling for too high premium, using diesel doesn't make sense. Here in Canada diesel has recently crept a bit higher than regular gasoline, but I believe it's more of a supply situation as diesel use is increasing. In the USA you seem to be facing more variability in fuel pricing than here in Canada.
For urban driving a properly sized diesel gets about 30% more MPG than an equivalent performance gasoline engine. The Jeep Cherokee 2 wd EPA figures are: Gas 3.7L- 15/20 Gas 5.7L- 13/19 Diesel 3L- 18/23 Performance is close to the gas 5.7L.

Don't forget the size. The Prius is larger than the Corolla; if you think you'd want something larger that also gets good gas mileage, that's the Prius. If you think you're stuck with a Corolla-sized car, you're not. Not necessarily.

IMO they've similar in interior space. A few months ago we drove to the airport in a Corolla and returned in a Prius. The Prius did have the advantage of being able to pile our luggage up to the back window, so you couldn't see out the window even the tiny bit that is normal.
I would never pile the luggage that high for safety reasons and would wrap a cargo net around the Prius luggage to avoid it coming forward in a quick stop.
I have read that the Prius mileage in cold winter weather is similar to the Corolla's.

They're not.

Grille blocking enhances the Prius' mileage significantly. Tomes

I'd think that Toyota would know that and have a thermostatic louver rather than risk having people block it when too warm.
wrote in message

Yep, I wish Toyota would have put that in as well. I a car as sophisticated as this one is, it should also be automatically driven. Tomes
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

It's a little larger, though it's misleading because the cargo capacity is higher only if you pile things up so you can't see out the back! It's still closer to the Corolla in size than the Camry.
Corolla ------- 92.0 cubic feet: passenger compartment 12.3 cubic feet: cargo
Prius ----- 96.2 cubic feet: passenger compartment 16.1 cubic feet: cargo
Camry ----- 101.4 cubic feet: passenger compartment 16.7 cubic feet: cargo

But is bigger better? That extra 4 cubic feet of passenger space does little if it is not in the hip room when you want it. Of if the trunk space is more in volume but the trunk lid is too small to fit a decent sized carton through it. .
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That's a good point. I find the Corolla to have much more usable room. It's a lot more cramped than a Corolla. You can carry five people in a Corolla and not be too uncomfortable, but not in a Prius which is really good for only two adults and two children. Still, if you're using the Prius as a commute vehicle, and have a larger family vehicle for trips with more people, it's fine.

That's correct, the Corolla and Prius are similar, but if you pile things high in the Prius it has more space for cargo. I would not do that due to the safety concern of luggage flying forward in a fast stop.
The Prius has a lot of passenger Cu Ft. forward of the dash, which is unusable. Having been a passenger in both, with two & three others, I suggest they are similar for practical purposes. As for the driver the previous Corollas didn't fit me comfortably; I'm 5'-11". A similar height friend of mine who has the previous Corolla confirms that it wouldn't fit me very well as a driver, his shorter wife drives his. I've not tried the new Corolla for size.
Before you say you cant afford a hybrid, lets take a look at the web site, base Prius $21,100, base Corolla auto (apples to apples) $17,110, difference $2,715, City epa for Prius is 48, Corolla 26 Presuming that is the best you could do in either car (not likely) the Prius would use 250 gallons of gas a year, the Corolla 461 presuming your 12,000 per year driven....@ lets say $4.50 a gallon you would save $949 per year/ 2715=2.8 years for break even, then you would save oh I don't know $1000 a year in gas, not to mention be driving a MUCH cleaner car and doing your own little part to reduce the use of fossil fuel.
As for the batteries, Honda has had Hybrids since 96, Toyota about 98 (not positive) if there were massive battery failures, don't you think there would be a public outcry by now? why do you think no one really knows what it would cost to replace them? could it be not many are replaced? If it were a common item, I can assure you, there would be a price attached to it. By the way, Brakes last much longer in a Hybrid due to the fact that much of the forward energy is converted to electricity when stopping.
So, Lets recap, 10 years ownership, Prius, car and fuel only $32,350, Corolla, car & fuel only $37,855, so, looks like you can't afford to save $5,505?
I am not a fan of the Prius BTW, I prefer the Honda Civic Hybrid, it, to me is a far more comfortable car.