Cost of Transmission Fluid Flush

texas gets hotter than ca or nv? tx is more humid, but that just affects wet stuff like humans, not sealed stuff like transmissions. besides, ambient of 100F isn't exactly extreme for a lubricant.

record of tranny failures? 300k on an automatic? name a domestic that'll regularly and reliably do 300k! i know there's issues with modern hondas, but what about the 20-odd years prior to that? and modern failures are gear design problems - nothing to do with excess fluid contamination. buy a ford, then let's talk about the difference being able to change the fluid seems to make...

Reply to
jim beam

But given some of the misbehaving trannies Honda has been turning out the last few years, maybe a drain plug is worth the rather small cost and effort involved.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

This brings up a good point. I wonder if you could put a drain on the tranny that would do a better job, and if so, where?

BTW, I have sold two Accords with Auto trans with almost 200k on them, and now one ever had a problem. And from what I know, they are still going strong. I did change the fluid at the recommended intervals, and I NEVER flushed one.

And in response to that other comment, I would agree, Honda's are NOT prefect by far, but I find them to be the lesser of the evils. I have now had 15 new Hondas on over 22 years. I commute, and I rack up miles. I have had everything fro Civics to Accords. In those 15 cars, other than regular maintenance, I have had the following expenses.

2001 Accord had a main oil seal let go at 115k, $10 part and $700 to get replaced. 2001 Accord had to have a seat belt replaced because the SRS sensor in it was bad, cost $120 installed. 94 Civic I got used had a Head Gasket go at 90k, cost $500 94 Civic, CV Joint Replacement. 94 Accord had a clutch warp. Complained when it was under warrant, so the dealer replaced it long after the warranty, cost $0

I'm sure I have forgotten some minor under $50 items, but this has been my major expenses other than normal brakes, timing belts, etc etc. Before Honda, I used to spend a lot on a car after 70-80k miles.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

That wouldn't have solved Honda's problems. The tranny problems went deep into basic design flaws.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Sucker. Honda will replace seat belts for free, anytime.

You just didn't ask. My guess is your dealership pocketed the entire $120, and passed the repair off to Honda warranty--who also paid for it at their rate.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Wrong, they will not replace any electronic component on the SB. Only the SB for safety reasons. Per Honda USA.

I didn't take it to the dealer either. Cost close to $200.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Right. The dealer replaces the entire seat belt mechanism. It's not rocket science.

And Honda warrants seat belts forever. They just replace the whole thing. The dealership puts it in for warranty pay.

Maybe that's why you had to pay out of pocket.

Trust me, the mechanism that dealers have for paying for things like this is well established, and the fact that Honda warrants seat belts without question is well known.

Honda doesn't want to be caught on the end of any trouble, having refused to replace a simple seat belt.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

has nothing to do with the ability to drain fluid - they're fundamental design problems.

Reply to
jim beam

Hi TeGGeR

I am sorry. It was actually CAN$ 25.5 for 0.30 hours. Slip of eye or what you call it in English.

Reply to
ExtremeValue

My concern is not the catastrophic failures but the (much more widespread???) sticky shifting that does seem to be temporarily relieved by new fluid.

Of course it's far from a fix, just a crude backup, way to get by.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Hey Elmo!

Do you think that Honda will replace the slack seat belts in my '83 Civic?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Bingo!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Try it. I bet they will.

It does depend on (a) your relationship with your dealer, (b) the effectiveness of the dealer service manager, and (c) their relationship with Honda.

But overall, regarding seat belts, I believe they will--if there's any doubt that the seat belt is working correctly.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thanks!

I'll give it a shot later this week. Anything to same me $$$$!!!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire